Gps Units

Rogue_monkey

I looked at both models and decided on the Sportrak Map. I liked it because the screen is a little larger and all of the buttons are right on the front. The Sportrack fit in my hand better. I didn't like the "click stick" on the Garmin Legend models, I found it clumsy to use. On the new Garmin GPS Map 60CS they have redesigned their button features to more closely resemble the Magellan. Really it's just personal preference. I don't think there is any difference in the Legend and the Sportrack Map as far as performance. I'm sure others will disagree.

ND, you didn't tell me you were engaged! B)

I would also agree with ND on this one - I'm all over that quad-helix thing. When we started we had a Legend and out here in the Wild Wild Wet, (and even moreso on the coast itself) there are A LOT of caches placed under heavy tree cover. My Legend totally sucked and I upgraded w/i a month to a GPSr with a quad-helix antenna.

Now, this is not to say all patch antenna is bad. I've been out more than a time or two in questionable circumstances (crappy weather, heavy tree cover, blah blah blah) and have had to rely on eTrex for signal. It's been nice to have, a time or two, but over all, at least where I'm located, quad-helix is the way to go.

-=-

michelle

I still have to go with "Legend"! There is a lot of debate about the antenna issue, the Magellan quad-helix versus Garmin "patch", but if you crunch the numbers, (at least those that I have been able to find) both the Legend and the SportTrak series have an almost identical antenna gain.

In theory, the quad may perform marginally better under heavy tree cover, and the patch in an urban enviroment or canyon. The biggest difference between the two is that the Magellan will try and dead-reckon based on last known direction and speed with a weak/no signal. The Legend just gives up and says it's lost.

As for the button issue, I like the Garmin layout. The one-hand design is something that really suits me. As does the fac that the Garmin works best in a horizontal position, whilst the Magellan does in a vertical....

Just $00.02 more cents worth... B)

Edit: Man, I can't type this morning...[

Edited by tirediron
Idon't know nothin' about antenna gain and stuff, I just know when it points the right direction and when there is no lock.

The thing is that the Magellan may not have a lock, but it tells you it does, which accounts for much of the myth regarding its superiority over the Garmin eTrex.

Another issue is the "slingshot effect" of the Sportrak's averaging feature. A lot of times when I'm with a Sportrak user, they blow by the cache, while I go right to it with my eTrex. I've also read lately a bit about problems with the Sportrak's QC. Something about cracks developing in the case by the screw holes.

I don't know nothin' about antenna gain and stuff, I just know when it points the right direction and when there is no lock.

Without going into a long-winded discussion on the physics of how antennae work, the basic thrust of my post was that the Magellan units have an inerent tendancy to tell you that they are pointing in the right direction, but they may not always be. If we are all completely honest, 99% of this whole thing boils down to just another Ford/Chevy debate. B)

I didn't like the "click stick" on the Garmin Legend models, I found it clumsy to use.

As the owner of a Magellan and two Garmins I'd like to defend the click stick. When I first bought my Rino 120 I thought the stick was a pain. After using it for a while I grew to love it. When I went to get a new GPSr I went with the etrex Vista because of the click stick. Once you get use to it you won't want anything else.

I don't know nothin' about antenna gain and stuff, I just know when it points the right direction and when there is no lock.

Without going into a long-winded discussion on the physics of how antennae work, the basic thrust of my post was that the Magellan units have an inerent tendancy to tell you that they are pointing in the right direction, but they may not always be. If we are all completely honest, 99% of this whole thing boils down to just another Ford/Chevy debate. B)

Tell that to my fiancee when her Garmin doesn't get a lock and my Magellan is still tracking how far we have to go and the right direction. It isn't guessing, becuase I can turn, stop, start and it keeps right on tracking.