Downloading Waypoints From Page

blocko1000

Im not familiar with downloading the co-ords straight to a GPS, i put em on a topo pgm first, but, what format/file extension are you uploading to your GPS? maybe GPS doesnt recognize them so good and messes em up?

Are you using the same format, the same map datum?

DD MM.SSS

or

DD DDDDD

or

DD MM.MMM

Downloading WGS-84 data, GPS set to NAD27?

Possibilities.

I'm gonna second DW's suggestion. When you download a waypoint and upload it to your GPSr it autoconverts it to whatever settings are on your GPSr.

Make sure they're the same as the standard geocaching.com uses if you're worried about the same - other wise just go after the cache, it's the same waypoint, just expressed differently. It won't be an issue until you hide a cache - then you'll HAVE to know what format it's in so you can list it in that format (with the correct datum as well).

---

I'd check that first, sounds like a likely culprit.

southdeltan

I've had the same thing happen occasionally. It doesn't make any difference how I load the numbers, they change. I've used TOPO! & EasyGPS both. I have no idea why becasue it only happens every once in a while, but often enough that if I can't find a cache I check the co-ords against the page. If someone ever finds out why I'd be interested in learning.

Edit: I've been doing this since 4/2001 so it's not a newbie mistake.

Edited by The Jester

I am using wgs 84. I find caches no problem. I just do it paperless and have the pda with me. I decided to download straight from the page last week and give it a try that way. I parked about 50 feet from a cache last weekend and did a goto with my magellan. It showed that the cache was a half a mile away. I checked the numbers of the coordinates with my pocket query on my pda and they were way off.