Hiding My First Cache, Need Help.

HowardDouglas

I have a new 60CS and I want to use it to hide a cache. I have a good place for it. My question is where and how do I log it onto this site so people in Maryland can find it? I know it has been said 100 times here but what is good to put in it and what type of book do you use for a log book? Should it have specific columns or questions or fill in the blank forms? Please help ,thanks!

To list it here, click on the Hide and Seek a Cache tab on the home page and follow the instructions. Make sure you read the guidelines, so you your cache is likely to be approved. As far as a logbook, I find that the small, spiral bound notepads work best. The glue bound ones tend to fall apart after a while. Just leave the pages blank and the finders will take care of the rest. Its also a good idea to put the logbook in its own Ziploc in case the container takes on water.

As far as things to put in, consider who will be finding it. If its an easy cache that might draw a lot of families, be sure to have plenty for the kiddies. Watercolor sets, boxes of crayons or colored chalk, glue sticks, new Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars, bags of toy soldiers, jewlery making kits, small games, etc...

You'll also want stuff for adults and the possibilites here are endless. If your cache will be one that is difficult to reach, you'll want more adult oriented stuff. Among the things I've put in are plastic rain ponchos, travel packs of Handiwipes, small screwdriver or allen wrench sets, small spray cans of WD40, office supplies such as packs of Post Its, small boxes of paper clips, or push pins and highliters. Also things for the outdoors, such as survival whistles, tick removers, small compasses.

Some other things I've used are individual packs of Armor All, small flashlights and LED squeeze lights, key rings, wallets and dozens of other items.

Just follow two guidelines. Don't put anything in the cache that you would otherwise have put in the garbage and put in things that you think people would like to find and you'll be fine.

And finally, choose a quality, waterproof container. Ammo boxes are best, but Lock n Lock, Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (with blue rim on lid) and real Tupperware are also good. Gladware, dollar store plastic containers, Chinese food/deli containers and similar containers are not good ideas, unless you plan to visit your cache every few weeks to dry it out.

Edited by briansnat

On the geocaching website, click on "Hide and Seek a Cache" in the grey area on the left hand side of the screen. The next screen has two main coloumns. on the right (grey background) is "Hide a cache". There's a link there to an online form you need to fill out to get approval. Also read the link to the guidelines for placing a cache.

Hide and Seek a Cache Link

For the logbook, I usually just get a little spiral notepad and write the name of my cache on the outside along with my name, then a little note inside welcoming the cachers. I put this in a ziplock with a pen and a pencil.

Make sure you also print off the geocaching explanation sheet that goes into the cache.

What you decide to put in it is up to you... I go to the dollar store and big Lots and clearance areas of stores and try to pick up little things that are kind of diverse (stuff for kids, a deck of cards, a little game or something).

Just read the stuff on the link above. It'll tell you pretty much everything you need to know.