Can I Use Nat. Geographic Topo Maps With A Garmin/

ahren

If you are asking if you can download National Geographic Maps to your Garmin, the answer is NO. You need to buy Garmin software for your Garmin GPS, and if you owned a Magellan you would need Magellan software for your Magellan. With that said, I also make maps using National Geographics Topo and print them out so I can plan the best route for a day of caching. :lol:

As Night Stalker said, you cannot upload NG maps into your Garmin GPSr, but you can use your Garmin GPSr with NG maps. By this, I mean that you can upload routes, tracks and waypoints from your GPSr to the computer and view them on the NG maps on the computer.

Your best bet is to buy the Garmin maps so that you can upload the maps into your GPSr - that is assuming that your Garmin GPSr is capable of accepting maps. You never mentioned what model you have...

if you're looking to reference more detailed topographic data while out on the trail / seek / whatever... there is a really expensive solution...

pda + delorme topo usa (version 4 or 5) + delorme handheld

you can then use the XMap feature of the delorme products to make a topographic map which you can load onto the pda. then you can reference your position on the topo on the pda... which if you already have a basic topo on your gps, should be a good slug of topographic info.

Yes if you have an iQue 3600. There are a few threads about it here:

pdastreetforum

It is a little difficult to get it set up. But there has been some grassroots support for the iQue at NG.

Other than the iQue, Garmin GPS only use Garmin Maps with one exception. You can also create your own maps (very time consuming process) using a program called Mapdekode. There are a few threads @ the link above about that process as well.

-MIQ

if you're looking to reference more detailed topographic data while out on the trail / seek / whatever... there is a really expensive solution...

pda + delorme topo usa (version 4 or 5) + delorme handheld

you can then use the XMap feature of the delorme products to make a topographic map which you can load onto the pda. then you can reference your position on the topo on the pda... which if you already have a basic topo on your gps, should be a good slug of topographic info.

National Geographic does the name thing with Topo Sync USA. It lets you copy quad map's to your PDA. What it doesn't do well is hangle waypoints like I'd like it too. I'm not sure yet on the Delorme yet if it handles waypoints well or not but a friend has the software coming and I'll know soon enough.

RK Did you mean Pocket Topo which is what I got from NG? Of course you have to have their State Series maps first, but the Pocket PC transfer the 24K topo maps from the State Series into your Pocket PC. In the PPC you create profiles, routes, notes or transfer these from the State Series after creating them on your PC. Like you said though , there are no waypoint transfers only routes and notes.

Alan

I wonder if they're including Pocket feature in the updated State series? I spent an additional $25 for Pocket over the 100.00 for the state series (Northeast).

Too bad about the waypoints not being able to overlay their maps in a PPC. SOmeone once posted the name of the NG guy who handles this stuff. Do you or anyone know his email? Maybe we can convince them to add it on their next release. It's really lame without it!!

Alan

OK what the hell. I'll bite! ;)

First you buy NG Topo. Then when you find the maps you'd like to print out you click on Print and follow the menu. :D

Did I miss something? ;)

Alan

OOOOoooh...ok. I didn't know it was something you had to buy. I thought it was a program download somewhere on the net. Darn...just my luck!

Thanks for explaining, Alan!