My 70 Year Old Dad Wants A Gps

R&R

After accompanying my family and me on several geocache hunts, my dad and his girlfriend (out of state) want one for themselves. He doesn't own a computer and wouldn't know how to use it if he did. His GF still works and has internet access at work, but no PC at home. My dad is totally technologically challenged. What I hope to find, and I don't know if it even exists, is an idiot-proof GPS, with the most extensive built-in map possible, since dad has now way of d'loading maps. Any suggestions?

Team R&R

I can't compair to Lowrance so maybe someone else can cover their interface.

Lowrance maps (one of the requirements) are a snap - you can buy them on SD cards; no computer required - just pop them in and go. They're very detailed, as well.

As for the interface, Lowrance has an 'easy' mode and an 'advanced' mode. The 'easy' mode, while perfect for people who are technologically challenged, is pretty much useless for geocaching (only a single waypoint, labelled 'Home', and a MOB marker). I have no problem with the 'advanced' mode, although some of the less-used options can take some time to find.

I've never used a Garmin, but the Magellan I borrowed from a friend was no harder or easier to use than my iFinder.

I can't agree with the "easiness" of a Garmin either. I have used both, and they both have a learning curve. Some people find the Magellan's easier, others find the Garmin's easier. I am not technologically challenged, and learning how to use an eTrex wasn't any easier than learning how to use a SporTrak or a Meridian.

That's cool about maps preloaded on an SD card. I've never thought of that, and didn't know Lowrance does that.

I think a possible workaround, though it will cost a bit more, is to buy the unit you want, then, buy the mapping software. Then, you could load in a big section of detailed map of the area he lives in. If he doesn't travel anywhere far, the map you load on the unit will last indefinitely.

Yeah the iFinder in "easy mode" is pretty straightforward to use & no PC needed at all once the MMC map card is installed in the unit.

But, why insist on mapping capability at all? Surely a super-basic etrex Yellow or Geko, or base Magellan without mapping is by far the easiest to learn.

..Just follow the arrow to your goal! :D

First you can load maps on your PC and solve the map problem for him. Since it sounds like he will be working off printouts I'd go Garmin for one reason only. They really do seem to have a simpler to use interface than Magellan.

I can't compair to Lowrance so maybe someone else can cover their interface.

I agree that the Garmin interface is more intuitive. But I had problems with the click stick. I have lost a lot of the range of motion in my right hand the thumb in particular. The symptoms are similar to arthuritus (sp?). It took me a while to adapt to the Magellan interface but I like the mechanics of operating it a lot better. Somthing to consider if Dad has stiff hands.

I stand by the Garmin interface being easier. The click stick is a valid issue However the GPS V (Getting inexpensive) the GPSMap 76S, and the new 60s solve any problems with the click stick.

The magellan probably has the better price than these garmins but it won't be easier to use.

AT least on the GPS V the keys are labeled. The Magellan Sport Track I've seen you have to guess the symbol until you get used to it and I've not found guessing easy even though I know GPS's in general.

My reccomendation at this point is to take your father shopping and see what the heck he likes. What seems to work the way he thinks a GPS should work. Easier for me may not be easier for your father. We all disagree on 'easy' but I think most people can agree that your father should probably try them out hands on and see what's most intuitive to him.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Wow! Thanks for all the excellent replies. I never thought of preloading the maps. That's a really good idea. I'm kind of thinking about the iFinder. I already have a Globalmap 100 and the mapcreate software. I'm wondering if the PC interface connection is the same on the iFinder as it is on the GM100? Otherwise I'd have to buy the software all over again just to get the cable.

Looking at the iFinder H2O, I'm thinking of buying one of those for myself and just give dad my GM100 for nothing. I originally bought the GM100 for navigating the Maine coast in my boat (geocaching came later :D ), so I needed a waterproof unit. I'm still going to look at the other suggested units too.

Roy

I'm wondering if the PC interface connection is the same on the iFinder as it is on the GM100? Otherwise I'd have to buy the software all over again just to get the cable.

This won't be a problem, as the iFinder doesn't upload maps via the cable; it uses SD cards. You didn't say what version of MapCreate you have (Lowrance sells MapCreate 6 for the iFinder), but as long as it saves the maps in .at5 or .lcm format, you'll be fine. You don't need to buy Lowrance's SD reader either - any SD card reader will work (I use my digial camera.)

Lowrance has demos of all of their current units available on their website. You can download the simulator, drop in a couple of maps, and try it out (the last time I checked, though, the iFinder demo only had firmware 1.4, and only worked with .lcm maps.. the ability to use .at5 maps wasn't added until version 1.6.)