How To Download Cache Pages To Zire 71

GyPSy Krew

Hi, I purchased a Zire 71 and want to use it to download cache pages, but I don't know what software to use. I downloaded a trial version of iSilo, but I don't know how to download to it. ExpertGPS only has the option of d-loading to a GPS. I'm sure someone has a Zire 71 and is using it for geocaching. Can someone give me a tip(s)? Thanks!

I use a Zire71 and I love it, because I can combine the PDA's cache information (for up to about 2000 caches) with a functional digital camera.

The best way for using cache info. on your Palm is to become a premium member, order pocket queries, and transfer the GPX file using third-party software such as Spinner and Plucker or Cachemate. See the link in the FAQ topic at the top of this forum, which will take you to Geocacher-U for a college course on paperless geocaching using Spinner and Plucker. I believe that Spinner is also compatible with I Silo.

Maybe someone else can post links to tutorials for other software solutions.

Edited by Keystone Approver

I use my Zire 71 with a Power Mac, but if the original poster has a Windows system, the same basic configuration would work.

As KA said, subscribe to Geocaching.com so that you can get .gpx files, because they have loads more information than .loc files. Then use CMConvert (available free on the same site as CacheMate) to convert the GPX files to a .pdb format that your Palm can understand. Then drop those files on your Send to Handheld program (or whatever Windows systems use for quick Palm transfers, if it isn't called that), and the next time you HotSync your Zire, the files will be transferred to CacheMate. Then open CacheMate and tell it which category to put each file in. For example, I have separate categories for caches nearest my house, caches near Yosemite, benchmarks, etc.

BTW, CacheMate can also talk to GPS receivers (with the proper cable). I just got this all set up myself a few weeks ago, and I *love* being able to send waypoints from my Zire to my GPSr in a matter of moments instead of having to enter them digit by digit by digit using the rocker pad on the GPSr.

CacheMate is wonderful, and an absolute bargain for the small price that Brian asks for it. Visit www.smittyware.com for more information. And enjoy your Zire! It's a nice PDA.

I also use Cachemate, but I use Plucker and GSAK in addition to it. I open the pocket queries in GSAK, select the ones I want, and upload them to my GPS if they're not already there. Then I export to Cachemate, and then export html pages for Plucker. Plucker converts the html pages to a format the Zire 71 can read, and you see the cache pages just as you see them on the PC. You get better sorting options in Plucker in addition to much more eye candy, which makes the pages easier to read. The only reason I use Cachemate is for logging and editing cache pages, because Plucker is read-only. The only program of all these that isn't free is Cachemate. If you want freeware only, GSAK and Plucker will do the job, and you can do the logging in Memopad or whatever. Lately I've been using Daynotez, because it automatically timestamps every entry. It's not freeware, but I bought it for uses other than geocaching, and it's already on the Palm, so I may as well use it. GSAK will also convert to most other formats, including Mapsource and most mapping software formats, by using GPSBabel.

Any of you Zire 71 folks have probelms with HotSyncing? I just got mine, and after 4 hours of tech support, and some of the most inane suggestions from them, I finally convinced them that my cradle is dead, and they are sending me a new one... but it's gonna take 7-10 days!!! And I was hoping to be paperless for this beautiful Saturday coming up! :lol:

-T

Any of you Zire 71 folks have probelms with HotSyncing? I just got mine, and after 4 hours of tech support, and some of the most inane suggestions from them, I finally convinced them that my cradle is dead, and they are sending me a new one... but it's gonna take 7-10 days!!! And I was hoping to be paperless for this beautiful Saturday coming up!  :lol:

-T

I also had a bad cradle and while I was waiting to receive my new cradle I went down to Bestbuy and bought just a cable for less than $10 to HotSync my Zire 71. Now I carry the cable as a spare, just a thought.

I use a Zire71 and I love it, because I can combine the PDA's cache information (for up to about 2000 caches) with a functional digital camera.

I also use a Zire 71, I made some locationless caches in my trips thanks to the functional camera.

My favourite way to download cache pages and others web is Isilo, a nice document reader, is not freeware but not expensive.

You can download Isilox, it is a freeware tool of Isilo where you can dowload web pages very fast and store them in Isilo format.

I also tried Plucker (entirely freeware), but downloads web pages very slowly and the HTML interpretation is not very good at the moment.

Any of you Zire 71 folks have probelms with HotSyncing? I just got mine, and after 4 hours of tech support, and some of the most inane suggestions from them, I finally convinced them that my cradle is dead, and they are sending me a new one... but it's gonna take 7-10 days!!! And I was hoping to be paperless for this beautiful Saturday coming up! :lol:

-T

The connector of the Zire71 cradle has a bad design. Some users had problems with it, not me.

I use a Zire 71, GSAK and Plucker. I am not too much of a note taker when I am caching, so the info that GSAKs HTML pages supply is about all I need. I keep my eTrex Summit constantly full of the closest 475 geocaches to whatever destination I have for the day. That's easy to do. Plucker takes a little while to translate the HTML, but it has great output. And since Plucker is already there, I can have stuff from my own website, The Onion, slashdot and all that, right there next to my caching pages! Wohoo... But I would like to hook my PDA and eTrext together using Cachemate. That seems pretty neat. I had been thinking of doing that using Solus from DeLorme, but I tried it and it was awful :lol: .

You can use either Cachemate or Cetus with the Zire 71 and your GPS. Cetus is free, and takes the cache information from GPSBabel. Another thing to look at if you get a cable to connect the GPS is Mapopolis. You get verbal door-to-door driving directions (or door-to-cache) with automatic rerouting. You can buy one or more counties individually, or the entire US for $99. Pfranc is a good place to get cables for a Garmin eTrex. I bought just some ePlugs and made my own.

Well, after many calls to Indi... I mean, tech support, and having them send me a new cradle, they finally believe me that the issue is with the Zire 71 itself and not with the cradle, or the computer.

So, I bought the Zire on the 13th, today is the 21st and I just dropped off the FedEx (on MY nickle!) to send back the Zire that I've never gotten to use. :mad:

The "best" suggestion they made: "Oh, you are only running Windows XP Service Pack 1, you need to upgrade to 1a or 1b".

*sigh*

-T

P.S. SP1a was the post-Sun lawsuit release that removes microsoft VM java. It's actually a downgrade as sun java runs slow as molasses.