Where's George

fly46

Okay, I placed my first cache on the site today and it's eagerly awaiting approval from the Keystone Approver. :o

One of the things I put in my cache was a where's george dollar, since, well, not much else would fit - especially something that wasn't 'girlie'... This reminds me of a long topic on the WG forums, and I thought I would come in here and actually explain WG for those of you who don't george your stuff.

Where's George's purpose is to track the regular flow of currency around the US and the world. Note the words REGULAR FLOW.

Yes, dropping a dollar into the cache is the regular flow of money, some people do it with bills that haven't been marked for WG. However, the people that don't quite understand what the WG site is think that the dollars should be moved along like travel bugs, and it's common for us to get logs saying that someone has taken the dollar and moved it to another cache. Why these people don't take the CASH and enter it into the computer or even simply spend it is beyond me. If you wouldn't move an unmarked dollar to another cache, why would you move a georged one?

The point to all of this is that if you find a georged dollar in a tupperwear container in the woods, don't move it along, take it, enter it on the computer - all you need to do is enter the serial #, the year of the bill, and a little note, and no you don't have to be a member - and then spend it somewhere the next time you spend money.

It's not a travel bug, it doesn't have to stay in a cache.

I think WG$ are useful for swapping. Allows you to circulate them or pick up a known WG$. Moving them is ok - but yes, someone should log them as found.

Went on a group hunt this past weekend and I think 2 of the WG$ I placed were swapped by others in the same group. I also place a WG$ sometimes if there isn't one in the cache already - no different then leaving something and not taking something.

I love swapping WG's in caches! I think they make great trade items.

I normally won't take an "un-Georged" bill, but if I do I will see if it's been entered into the WG sight and if it's not there I'll George it myself and put it into another cache. I generall won't spend a George, unless I'm at a bar. It makes a good bartender tip and conversational topic.

That is that!

Happy caching and stuff! :lol:

I like swapping out the WG$ also. Makes a quick and easy trade item. However once I find one in a cache I don't put it back in another cache. I just spend them as normal.

This topic has been addressed on the WG website. They have a seperate listing for geocache dollars.

I think WG$ are useful for swapping. Allows you to circulate them or pick up a known WG$. Moving them is ok - but yes, someone should log them as found.

Went on a group hunt this past weekend and I think 2 of the WG$ I placed were swapped by others in the same group. I also place a WG$ sometimes if there isn't one in the cache already - no different then leaving something and not taking something.

Yes, but you're not supposed to.. Swapping out specifically because it's george goes against the normal flow of money, which goes against the point of wg all together.

I think WG$ are useful for swapping. Allows you to circulate them or pick up a known WG$.  Moving them is ok - but yes, someone should log them as found.

Yes, but you're not supposed to.. Swapping out specifically because it's george goes against the normal flow of money, which goes against the point of wg all together.

Eric, I know there's a place on the WG site.. The purpose of posting it here was for the people who don't george and who wouldn't go on that site.

"Where's George" is an excellent example of the competitive use of statistics ruining a nice little hobby.

Hank Eskin, the owner of "Where's George" and the man who makes the rules for that game, has historically been among the most flagrant violators of his "natural circulation" rules. Most of the "prolific" georgers would also be considered flagrant violators of the "natural circulation" rules if the "special geocaching rules" where applied to their methods of circulation. And Eskin is well aware of it. What hypocrisy.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot