Posting A Cache With Two Owners

Wintertime

This isn't a geocaching.com bug report, but it may turn into a feature request. :-) For the moment, though, it's a "how-to" question.

A friend and I are cooperating on hiding a cache. He lives 10 mins. from the cache location; I'm about 100 miles away from him. So he'll be maintaining it. But I'm the one who wrote up the cache description and did the HTML code for it. (It includes some photos, a couple of subheads, and a bit of other formatting.)

I've looked at a few caches near me that are owned by two different people, and it appears that there can only be a link to one person's profile. Presumably, that's the profile of the person who logged onto geocaching.com and submitted the hide report. I'd prefer to submit the report myself because I'm familiar with the mechanics of doing so, and can tweak the HTML on the fly if it doesn't look quite right after I upload everything. But my friend should be the main contact because he'll be maintaining it.

So....is there any way to have links to both of our profiles from the owners' names at the top of the page? Or is there any way for me to upload the hide report but have the link go to my friend's profile?

Thanks!

We may in the future add a feature for cache owners to add permissions for other users to edit one of their caches. However, this feature is not currently available.

I would love to see some type of co-ownership happen. Dudeface and I co-own every cache we place, but we are each individual cachers - so we don't have a team name.

Yes, yes, yes please - add this feature! :D

Oh, one more related question. When a cache is in pre-approval status, only the approvers and the person who submitted it can see it, right? I.e., unless I let my friend log in as me, he can't see it until it's approved, correct?

That is correct; only the reviewers and the cache owner who submitted the cache page can see it before the cache is approved.

That is correct; only the reviewers and the cache owner who submitted the cache page can see it before the cache is approved.

Okay, that's fine. I posted the page on my own web site a couple of days ago so my friend could review it, so there's no problem with him not being able to see the final submission before it's approved.

Thanks again for the help.

This would also be a good idea for caches that have been adopted. There is a cache in my area that is owned by someone who has moved out of the area and would like for someone local to maintain the cache for him, but he also wants to be able to continue to have access to edit the cache (as he should). Currently, as I understand it, if someone were to adopt it, the original owner would no longer have that access. Am I correct or is there a way for two "owners" to have access? Assuming there isn't, it would be a good feature to add and would help insure that caches are maintained properly.

Oh, one more related question. When a cache is in pre-approval status, only the approvers and the person who submitted it can see it, right? I.e., unless I let my friend log in as me, he can't see it until it's approved, correct?

You have given yourself a suggestion without realizing it. Perhaps your friend would let you log into his account with his password so you could submit the cache and he would then have primary access to the cache page.

How close a friend is he? Would he trust you with his password? :lol:

Something to think about.

John

How would log notification work? I am asking because of my involvment with the local geocaching group. It was kind of tricky figuring out how to set up a group account for event caches. One of our brighter members eventualy figured out how to set up a phantom e-mail account that would forward mail to all of us. In this case, many owners of one "cache" would get e-mail notification of cache logs? Would there be a special membership level for geo-groups? It could be a "good thing".

You have given yourself a suggestion without realizing it. Perhaps your friend would let you log into his account with his password so you could submit the cache and he would then have primary access to the cache page.

How close a friend is he? Would he trust you with his password? :lol:

Something to think about.

John

that's what my brother and i did with one of my caches. the only trouble it has caused is that i don't use capital letters and he does. i kept changing the cap. on his name for about 3 days just to bug him. he kept changing it back. :D