Geocaching Cd

egsg

I travell quite a bit and often don't know exactly where I'll end up. So it is frustrating to get info on possible caches in the area. I thought a CD, that I could pop into my laptop would be a big help. Then be able to serach useing the same criteria as the web site. I don't know how many caches would fit on a CD, at least a state if not a region. I realize that it would dated, but when travelling there are so many caches a few newer ones wouldn't be a problem to miss. Is there any thought at Geocaching.com to sell such an item?

With 64622 logs written in the past week :( it would be darn near impossible to have a CD that is even remotely accurate. Pocket Queries are the current best bet. There have been discussions previously about having Pocket Queries along a route. I'll look more into this once we're done moving the site over to the new codebase.

I use Pqs and they are great. The problem I was having is I am planning on driving from Maine to Texas, again. I know it will take me 3 - 5 days. I don't know what state I will be in each night. I know the generall route we will take, southwest, but the actuall route may change due to weather, construction or whim. Also I don't know where I will be when the need to get out of the car and stretch my legs strikes.

I use Pqs and they are great. The problem I was having is I am planning on driving from Maine to Texas, again. I know it will take me 3 - 5 days. I don't know what state I will be in each night. I know the generall route we will take, southwest, but the actuall route may change due to weather, construction or whim. Also I don't know where I will be when the need to get out of the car and stretch my legs strikes.

Got a web-enabled cell phone? That would solve a lot of the problems.

Edited by Stunod

Got a web-enabled cell phone? That would solve a lot of the problems.

Definitely true (as long as I have signal, that is). We've been using our T-Mobile Sidekick phones since early December and are still in love with them. We are able to pull up cache pages, do nearby searchs, log our finds, etc. from the phones. I rarely even take a PDA with me any more unless I know that I'm going to be in an area that doesn't have service.

--Marky

Imagine 150,000 caches in compressed PQ format (1 CD's worth, give or take), made fresh monthly and available via BitTorrent. With nightly deltas against the last monthly (i.e. updates) also available. As part of the torrent you can burn your own CD, and share your bandwidth with the rest of the community.

Except for that little bit in the TOS.

-Rick

(First I thought the subject was about a CD with suitable Geocaching music, perfect to have in your car stereo on the way to the caches.)

And here is my reply IF that was the subject:

I know a song that shouldn't be on that kind of CD: U2 with "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

I travell quite a bit and often don't know exactly where I'll end up. So it is frustrating to get info on possible caches in the area. I thought a CD, that I could pop into my laptop would be a big help. Then be able to serach useing the same criteria as the web site. I don't know how many caches would fit on a CD, at least a state if not a region. I realize that it would dated, but when travelling there are so many caches a few newer ones wouldn't be a problem to miss. Is there any thought at Geocaching.com to sell such an item?

Ummm......maybe i'm missing something? Why bother with a cd that you're just going to "pop into your laptop" , when you could just save the info directly to your hard drive? :D

Here is an idea for a PQ mod that wouldn't really take much.

1. Set your PQ to dayless (so it will run when you run it, and only then).

2. Define what you want (trads, micros, multis, etc)

3. Give your zip code as the zip code of the farthest point you are familiar with on your route out of town. (for example, if I was planning to drive west on I-80 from Omaha, I would use the zip code for an area in North West Lincoln (furthest point I am familiar with along my route)

This will give you a PQ of the caches within a 100 miles of that zip code. (getting you all the caches in a 200 mile stretch of your route.) This would cover all the caches between eastern Iowa and Kearney, NE in my example.

4. Copy your taste settings into a new PQ and use a zip code that is at least 100 miles away from your first point, but less than 200 miles. The PQ's will over lap so that you don't miss out on any in between.

5. Continue this till you reach your destination.

This will give you some extraneous caches as you are casting a 100 mile radius circle around each point, but it will cover the route. If you receive your PQ's and print off or save as only those caches that are described as being close to your route, you should have a manageable data set.

The PQ's can be saved so you can run them in reverse on your way home from a Kinkos or a net cafe.