Coming To Seattle In April

sept1c_tank

My original lay out put us at the night cache much too early so I have added Post Roundup (GC84E1) after dinner. This will take us back out to Maple Valley, but we will arrive at the parking area for the night cache around the right time.

I will have copies of the S&T printout available Tuesday as well as a few copies of the relevant cache pages. I have not yet contacted Red Robin as I wanted a bit better idea of how many we are talking about in the group.

My original lay out put us at the night cache much too early so I have added Post Roundup (GC84E1) after dinner. This will take us back out to Maple Valley, but we will arrive at the parking area for the night cache around the right time.

If we are eating dinner in Renton, it doesn't seem to make sense to drive all the way back to Maple Valley, then drive back to Renton again. Isn't there a cache or two in the Renton/Tukwila area that would be good to do after dinner? Just wondering, gas prices being what they are.

I was just thinking about that. How about we do Post Roundup before dinner and do Twin Peaks #1 at the same time. Since they both use the same parking area, it makes some sense. I believe that Twin Peaks #2 is likely too much due to downed trees. The last logs I read for that one were not promising. If I allow an hour for the two caches that should do nicely.

I have, yet again, modified the agenda. Post Roundup is now before dinner with Twin Peaks #1 added as an option. Both use the same parking area. This will cut down on the driving distance and get us to the night cache about the right time. If there is some time after dinner there are two caches near the Red Robin. Tukwila Pond and Sleepy Hollow are just a short distance away. I will have print outs for those two on Tuesday.

It's Seattle, isn't there a law that states there must be a Starbucks on every corner  :tired: ?

Actually, Seattle has been drenched in caffeine since long before *$ became a household word. Coffee shops are stacked like cordwood in some neighborhoods, but they aren't all *$. Regional chains, local chains, and many many independant shops keep the population wired (so to speak). Internet access is another question, though. :blink:

I'm in Seattle now. Any one with any spare time interested in geocaching or anything else can contact me at the Red Roof Inn (SeaTac). My only scheduled activity as of now is the event cache. I'm up for night caching, Easter Sunday caching, or (like I said) anything else.

I'd post my cell #, but who know's what may come of that? :tired:

Red Roof Inn. Room 311. (206) 248-0901. Please call.

Richard.

Welcome to Seattle starts out at Jester's drive-by cache (GCC48F) in Maple Valley, and according to a quick Mapquest check there's a public library less than two miles away -- they all have wireless access points on the odd chance you have a laptop. I'm not sure how far the access points reach outside the building or whether they're on/available before the library opens at 10.

The nearest Kinkos to Maple Valley would either be in Issaquah or Tukwila, a ten-mile drive either way.

I'd be happy to look up the list of Starbucks, but it would be much shorter just to post the list of addresses where there isn't a Starbucks. :blink: I think I have 7 that are less than a mile from where I live. No wonder I keep getting hooked on caffeine. :tired:

Now we see the problem with IT today... even with the geocache coords and the Kinkos website, I still don't know if there is a Kinkos nearby (!).

Here's Kinko's listed options:

Issaquah WA Commons,835 NW Gilman Blvd,Issaquah, WA 98027-5318

Tukwila WA, 112 Andover Park East Ste A, Tukwila, WA 98188-2901

Kent WA, 23203 Pacific Hwy S, Kent, WA 98032-2721

Bellevue WA Factoria, 3900 Factoria Blvd SE, Bellevue, WA 98006-1234

Federal Way WA, 31823 S Gateway Blvd, Federal Way, WA 98003-5616

anyone know off hand if thisis an option? I can do the mapquest research later, but figured I could ask.

(And no, I don't have wireless with me, so I need a terminal e.g. kinkos or Cafe, or library)

Now we see the problem with IT today...  even with the geocache coords and the Kinkos website, I still don't know if there is a Kinkos nearby (!).

Here's Kinko's listed options:

Issaquah WA Commons,835 NW Gilman Blvd,Issaquah, WA 98027-5318

Tukwila WA, 112 Andover Park East Ste A, Tukwila, WA 98188-2901

Kent WA, 23203 Pacific Hwy S, Kent, WA 98032-2721

Bellevue WA Factoria, 3900 Factoria Blvd SE, Bellevue, WA 98006-1234

Federal Way WA, 31823 S Gateway Blvd, Federal Way, WA 98003-5616

anyone know off hand if thisis an option? I can do the mapquest research later, but figured I could ask.

(And no, I don't have wireless with me, so I need a terminal e.g. kinkos or Cafe, or library)

The Kinko's on Andover Park East is the one I was referring to. It is not too far from the Park & Ride that we will start from.

The Issaquah, Bellevue, and Federal Way locations are not close to the route at all and would be difficult to get to from any location on the route.

The Kent location would be near the early route to Drive-by Caching.

I don't have library locations plotted out, so I can't answer that part of the question.

I hope this helps and I hope you can join us on Tuesday.

Edit: The Andover Park East location is also near the Red Robin that we will use for dinner.

Edited by WeightMan

I'd like to volunteer to pick you up, but I am on call and subject to leaving early or not even showing up... particularly with the new rash of e-mails being received with trojans included in the zipped attachments. (I just got notice of that today).

So if I'm not at the start, count me out and I'll try to catch up with y'all later on in the day.

wow.. that mapfile post was VERY helpful to me... I can print and take on the run (which I just did). Thanks alot for sharing Bill.

Also thanks Weightman for the info on Kinkos.

I won't know for sure until I am in Seattle tomorrow eve, but if I can I'd be glad to offer a ride -- I'll have a minivan all to myself and lots of room. Unfortunately I can't offer until I am sure, and that might be too late for good planning... I'll see what I can do.

I would really appreciate it if someone could pick me up, as I have no idea where I'm going (or where I am, most of the time) I would be happy to share expenses.

Red Roof Inn. Room 311. (206) 248-0901. Please call.

"Tanks," sept1c.

I am assuming you want to be picked up for the event cache on Tuesday. WL's offer won't get you there for the start. I can swing by if needed. What is the address for the Red Roof?

Oh I should have clarified. If you want to cache on Monday, I can pick you up. We will not make the Tuesday event but may try to swing by for the dinner.

Addition: I just downloaded the mappoint file. The times don't seem quite right. Can you post here what time you expect to be at Red Robin?

Thanks!

Edited by Wander Lost

I'm an obvious newbie here, but had a few questions...

1) How exactly do group finds like this work? It sounds like there are quite a few people looking, and I'm just curious how the actual search goes with so many cachers at teh same one at once.

2) How easy do you think it is to bring a toddler to something like this? Couple clairifcations first: She will not be walking the whole day. I'd either sling her or bring our Kelty and I DO pack out her diapers... Of course, due to car seats I'd have to drive... I'm assuming a stolller wouldn't work for most of these. I may not even need to sling her if we're only in and out of cars for part of the day.

I am seriously thinking about going but haven't deciided yet for two reasons: 1) it may rain and our Kelty toddler carrier doesn't have the rain cover.; 2) I freelance at night an dmay have too much work to continue the WHOLE day...

Thanks guys!

On events like this one you do have a bunch of people searching at the same time at the cache site. It usually means that the cache will be found quickly since there are so many eyes. Generally it is treated no different than if you were caching with just one or two other people. One person actually finds the cache everyone signs the log and looks to see where/how the cache was hidden. I've been on group hunts where the first person to find it will not say anything. They move off to another area then announce that they've spotted the prize and let others find it.

As for the toddler, well that depends a whole lot on the toddler. I haven't done any of these caches so I don't know what the terrain is like. The advantage for you would be having your own car. If the toddler isn't doing well you can always break off from the group. I know when we did the Freedom from work Cache a Thon I put my toddler in daycare for the day. But we had many more caches on our route and daycare was paid for the whole week so might as well use it.

For the most part the terrain is level, but... There are a few caches with some elevation gain. Notably Crater Peak and Twin Peaks #2. Trails vary from a trails to rails gravel trail to narrow and muddy. There is one section on Road Apples with a slope over 100 percent, but that is very short. The weather forecast looks like showers and not steady rain, but you never know.

Edit: In some cases there will be fallen trees from the winter storms. These will be involve going over or under and very little going around.

Edited by WeightMan
As for the toddler, well that depends a whole lot on the toddler. I haven't done any of these caches so I don't know what the terrain is like. The advantage for you would be having your own car. If the toddler isn't doing well you can always break off from the group. I know when we did the Freedom from work Cache a Thon I put my toddler in daycare for the day. But we had many more caches on our route and daycare was paid for the whole week so might as well use it.

She has an incredible demeanor. She may not want to walk it, but she'd be more than content to just chill out in the Kelty while I walk it all out. Unfortunately, due to some immune issues, day care is not a good option for her (that's why I live in SAHD land during the day... :(

I'm thinking given the descriptions that WM gave that we'd be able to do most, but maybe not all of them. Mud, narrow spaces, short inclines are all possible with her on my back. Going over some trees is also, but going UNDER most treees isn't.

If the weather holds out to be halfway decent we may go and if we run ito a situation where we're stuck, just meet the group at the cars for that cache.

So, count me in as a definite maybe.

I was hoping I could make it for tomorrow's event, but due to the current web site issues I really need to spend time in the office getting the site ready to work within a server farm environment. Will tank be around for CITO this weekend?

That's too bad. From what I read on the forums 'tank has a keen interest in the "office".

BTW, Jeff and I are planning to attend this mini cache machine. Thanks for setting it up WeightMan!

We indeed did have fun! Thanks to Weightman for putting this together and Jester adding to it to provide a cool tour of some really good cache hides. We did find one cache that was plundered and other things done to it that I won't go on about here, but overall I'd give this two thumbs up.

The truly sad part of my day was when I had to part company late in the afternoon to handle some obligatory business.

It was a pleasure meeting Septic Tank as well as LindaLou, Og's Outfit, NomadRaven, SeattleSeekers, and madfamily

Tanks for the memories!

==edited for correction==

Edited by TotemLake

All,

Sorry my wife and I couldn't make it to this.

After my meeting on Monday I took my client to dinner and he introduced me to the RedHook brewery :D ; needless to say we slept in Tuesday morning!

We did manage time to find 10 caches or so (most in the Queen Anne Hill area) and saw some nice views and great architecture.

I'll be coming back every month or two on business and will keep in touch.

Hope to meet some of you in the future.

(FYI - The only cache I dropped a CA Geocoin in for those interested in grabbing it was this one)