What software to buy?

Rogue6

I'm getting a eTrex Legend for Xmas - my first GPSR. I am also getting the MapSource USA MetroGuide software. My question is.... Will this do for geocaching? Should I also get the MapSource Roads & Recreation OR MapSource USA Topo as well?

Thanks for your help!

I try to spend most of my time off the beaten path so I find myself using the Topo software for my eTrex Legend. Someone with more urban tastes would probably enjoy the Metroguide or the Recreation and Points of interest one just as well.

I think I'm gonna buy the Metroguide software next.

fallouteyes.jpg

------> BUGOUT to avoid the FALLOUT ------>

Also, when you get it, check the unit's sofware version. If it isn't 2.50, go to the Garmin site and update. The latest version allows you to display your name and contact info on the startup page in case the unit gets misplaced. No password protection yet, though.

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

I have the Latest version of Metroguide, R&R, and TOPO. If you have Metroguide, I can see no real reason to purchase R&R. In a few areas, R&R has non road data such as streams etc that Metroguide doesn't have, but for the most part Metroguide is an updated version of the R&R maps. I only keep R&R because it allows you to upload smaller map chunks which is all my old GIII+ will accept. If you're going to be going off road, TOPO is nice to have and you can load maps from both metroguide and TOPO in your receiver at the same time for the same area. TOPO is pretty good for geographical data, but the road data is anywhere from 20 to 30 years old.

You can view maps from the different products on Garmins website. I highly recommend checking them out in advance for areas you might be interested in so you can view the differences for yourself

Jeff

I've got all three with a Vista. SInce you're getting Metro, I'd get Topo next to show off road topographic info, streams, etc. One thing, don't forget to turn off the "routing" when you transfer Metro maps to the Legend. Auto-routing only works in the Garmin V although you can route on your computer and transfer rotes to your Legend.

If you find later that Metro is stilll eating up all your memory, R+R without the POI and routing takes up a lots less memory yet provide the street details like Metro.

Alan

I've got R&R and Topo for my Vista. With respect to most trails, they both blow... but I like them anyway. I mostly use R&R - the detail on the Topo program is nowhere near what you get on standard 7.5 maps... which is why I ALSO use National Geographic Topo if I'm really heading out there. Great way to print out maps, on waterproof paper!

As with the GPS itself, whatever software you buy has probably also been updated, so check the manufacturer's website. Good luck!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."