60c And Averaging

Five_user saved my bacon on the averaging issue averaging. (I really don't know how to insert a link, so bare with me).

What it boils down to is that my friend's 60C had the same problem. Once five_user gave me the tip of clearing the memory, the problem was resolved. In his words, "Hold down page and enter while powering the unit on....select Yes to clear the user memory. "

I did this on my friend's 60C, and now she can average again. She has Metroguide 4.0 installed.

The screwy thing for me is that my 60CS came with firmware 3.0 already installed. I tried the averaging function first thing out of the box and it worked like a charm. Then, when I installed Metro 4.0, the averaging function got zapped -- WITHOUT any firmware update. I cleared the memory, and the averaging function returned.

It gets better: I installed a slew of City Select maps into the 60CS, and the averaging function was not effected-- still works like a champ.

Apparently certain Garmins are finnicky about changing maps or firmware with existing waypoints. Best bet is to backup all the waypoint data first, install the new maps or update the firmware, then clear the memory (the maps remain intact). THEN you can reload your waypoints and tracks, and you and your GPSr will be happy....

Thanks for your post. I tried it and it did indeed work. Thanks!.

Yes, I thank you all for this great information!

One word of caution that was mentioned earlier: BACK UP YOUR EXISTING DATA before executing this fix. I always do out of habit, but the fix wipes out all saved data, and user preferences. Maps loaded are not effected.

The screwy thing for me is that my 60CS came with firmware 3.0 already installed. I tried the averaging function first thing out of the box and it worked like a charm. Then, when I installed Metro 4.0, the averaging function got zapped -- WITHOUT any firmware update. I cleared the memory, and the averaging function returned.

It gets better: I installed a slew of City Select maps into the 60CS, and the averaging function was not effected-- still works like a champ.

Just to muddy the picture, my 60CS came with 3.0 firmware installed, I don't have Metro 4.0 but I installed City Select 5.0 maps, and I tried averaging yesterday for the first time and it didn't work. I cleared the user data memory and was able to average.

Edited by mochalatte

To muddy the water further, occasionally, my averaging will count to some number, then stop -- for example, it may count up to 31 or to 59 but then it stops counting. It's even "stopped" on 1 before. It does this maybe 1 in 10 times I average. This is not because of a lost signal, either.

Hitting ENTER to "save" the waypoint average up to that point, then starting it over again has always worked.

I'm using a 60CS.

One word of caution that was mentioned earlier: BACK UP YOUR EXISTING DATA before executing this fix. I always do out of habit, but the fix wipes out all saved data, and user preferences. Maps loaded are not effected.

Quick question: How do you back up the user data? I've been able backup routes WP, tracks, etc. But not any settings. Is there a way to backup all the other user settings?

Is there a way to backup all the other user settings?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. It's a minor hassle to reset your user preferences, that you should only need to do after updating firmware revisions. That shouldn't happen too often, and perhaps a fix for this (the averaging prob) is the works.

can I restore the lost Odometer reading, to what it was before reset?

If I can't, I wonder if i can attach it to a 100 foot string that is attached to a spinning pole, and in 8 hours or so the odometer reading is back up there?

(Being funny here.)

There was about 350 miles on it.

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?
If I can't, I wonder if i can attach it to a 100 foot string that is attached to a spinning pole, and in 8 hours or so the odometer reading is back up there?

(Being funny here.)

There was about 350 miles on it.

350 miles on a 100' string in 8 hours. That works out to about 6.13 R.P.M. it would just kinda hang down from the pole. You need to whip that sucker around at a faster speed, or put it out on a 100' solid pole. :ph34r:

Maybe you could rig something with old record player turntable at 16 R.P.M. :rolleyes:

At that speed you could do it in about 3 hours!

Funny thing... I contacted Garmin about this, and they said they'd never heard of it. I directed them, to this thread and they then got back to me and told me to reset the unit as someone in the thread suggested.

So, I'm left to wonder. Now that the Garmin support guy knows that a bunch of people are having the same problem, did he pass it on to the tech support people, or does he just tell everyone who contacts him to reset the unit?

I guess 3.02 will answer that question.