Is This A New Idea?

I was looking around Staples today and saw the mini cd-r's. I picked up a package and am going to TRY and make a multimedia calling card. This mini cd can hold 50MB of info, so it should be plenty of room.

I am loking for ideas from all yuo wonderful Geocachers out there on content to put on this cd and also for ideas on how to create this baby. I am quite familiar with computers, but terrible with multimedia and wouldnm't have the foggiest idea where to start. :D

Any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks!

You could make it just music, but you could possibly record a special greeting at the beginning if you had a microphone...

I'm thinking along the lines of putting the cd in your drive and there would be a multimedia presentation at the beginning with music and a small animation of someone looking for a cache. At the end there would be a menu to select mroe info etc.

I was looking around Staples today and saw the mini cd-r's. I picked up a package and am going to TRY and make a multimedia calling card. This mini cd can hold 50MB of info, so it should be plenty of room.

I am loking for ideas from all yuo wonderful Geocachers out there on content to put on this cd and also for ideas on how to create this baby. I am quite familiar with computers, but terrible with multimedia and wouldnm't have the foggiest idea where to start.  :D

Any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks!

If you need another Mini CD recorder let me know. I will let you borrow mine Insp Gadget. You pay the shipping from me to you and back again. I trust you. And if it gets trashed dont worry I never use it anyway. I also have about 20 blank disk.

I have a Sony MZ-N707 Net MD Walkman. All you can put on the disk are recorded sounds and music, no computer files unless they have changed in the last year or so.

Edited by RockyRiver

Are you sure you two are talking about the same thing?

There are MiniDisks, and they are mostly just mp3 disk type things, they're small cds and they're only good for sound, but Insp. Gadget was talking about some king of Mini CD-R is it possible these are two different things?

There are MiniDisks, and they are mostly just mp3 disk type things, they're small cds and they're only good for sound, but Insp. Gadget was talking about some king of Mini CD-R is it possible these are two different things?

I believe your right Team K9. I was thinking he was talking of a Mini disk. I get these new fangled electronics confused al the time. This is what I thought he had.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ZNF520D&Dept=pa

Edited by RockyRiver

I've got a Sony digital camera that records on mini CDs, but they are 186 Meg. How big are these mini CDs that you found? 3 inch? It seems a bit low capacity if this is the same disk.

I like the idea of a calling card CD. You know there are CDs available that are basically these mini CDs with 2 sides cut off. Makes them the same size as a business card. Seen some real cool uses for those. I've even had someone give me his resume on one of those.

F_M

I believe your right Team K9. I was thinking he was talking of a Mini disk. I get these new fangled electronics confused al the time. This is what I thought he had.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ZNF520D&Dept=pa

Whew! You had me worried that I needed a special machine to write to these puppies! I found out that they will work in any machine.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW

This is not the exact product I bought but is very similar.

I like the idea of a calling card CD. You know there are CDs available that are basically these mini CDs with 2 sides cut off. Makes them the same size as a business card. Seen some real cool uses for those. I've even had someone give me his resume on one of those.

Those are exactly what I bought. 2 sides cut off and the same size as a business card. They look pretty cool.

I have already started to compile a list of items I want to include on this cd. I would love to have it start with a short animation of Insp Gadget with a GPS lokoing for a cache, but I couldn't do that with a gun to my head. I do want to include, pics, newspaper articles and radio interviews concerning Geocaching, the history etc.

Cool. What's the cost of them?

I like your idea about Inspector Gadget using a GPSr. How about just Inspector Gadget giving a good "Go, go Gadget GPS" I figure someone on here is good enough with graphics to slam something like this out pretty quickly.

No way could I do it, but we have some talented people around here.

How about some pics of your finds or hides. Maybe the best views you've found. That type of thing.

F_M

Cool. What's the cost of them?

I like your idea about Inspector Gadget using a GPSr. How about just Inspector Gadget giving a good "Go, go Gadget GPS" I figure someone on here is good enough with graphics to slam something like this out pretty quickly.

No way could I do it, but we have some talented people around here.

How about some pics of your finds or hides. Maybe the best views you've found. That type of thing.

F_M

The cost is about $1 per cd, but I have a feeling that I can find them cheaper if I shop around. I bught this particular set cause the labels came with it as well.

I was thinking abuot putting pics on it as well. Lots of scenics, some short videos etc.

The ones that I use in my camera are 186 Meg and cost about $.50 a piece. Since what you got is a specialized product, I don't know how cheap you can find them. On-line is probably the best bet.

I do think it's a cool idea. I'm not all that creative, so sorry I can't help with that part. Let me know if you do any caching in the Maryland area. I'll keep an eye out for those CDs.

F_M

edit: I looked at that link and I think I know where I'm buying CDs in the future.

Edited by Fritz_Monroe
The ones that I use in my camera are 186 Meg and cost about $.50 a piece. Since what you got is a specialized product, I don't know how cheap you can find them. On-line is probably the best bet.

I actually found them online for 35 cents each, but want to try this idea before buying a ton of them.

I use mini CD's for a slideshow/screensaver of Maine photos for one of my sig items. The ones I use are actually 210 MB and will hold many photos. I use a program called xatshow to make the CDs, it does not handle videos or animations, but does what I need it to do for the photos. I even track them similar to a Travel Bug (but manually) with mixed success. Check it out at http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/maine_sights.htm

I've used CDs of astronomy freeware at many of the caches I've visited. They've been quickly grabbed up, so they seem to be a good idea. I bought some mini-CDs too for smaller cache containers, but haven't actually placed any yet. The mini-CDs I have are 210 MB, so you can fit nearly any free software or multimedia presentation. There are even smaller CDs available about the size of business cards that would be great too.

-Bob

i record in both mini-cd and MD frmat. i don't usually put MD in caches because not a lot of people have MD players. nice format, though. very handy for live recrding quick and dirty.

i regularly use mini cd for signature items, but only with music. i don't use both music and image because i'd need to have it just play when you pop it in, and i don't truck with multi-platforms. is it possible to do this in html, maybe? it's versatile and works from machine to machine, withour regard (mostly) to OS.

<_<

Here's an idea. Maybe make a private cache on the Biz card CD. Have a cache, that is posted as a members only cache. Have the only clues for it be on your mini-CD. you could make several copies of them, and let them go at the same time. have an answer to a question on the cd as well, so people have to email the answer to get credit for the find.

Might be an interesting to tie it into the game.

Later,

B.

:D

I like the idea, but how do I *use* them if I pick one up?

My laptop CD drive has a locking spindle, but my home PC is just a normal CD tray style - no spindle to lock it in place, and no 'recesses' (that I am aware of) to hold the mini CD in place while the spindle is pressed into it...?

Am I missing something obvious here?

(probably... <_< @ me)

I've put a couple of these out before, with a few songs, and a giant .jpg aerial photo of the area surounding the cache. And also some photos of fire areas, from when the fires swept thru Southern California.

A regular cd-rom tray usually has a smaller indentation in the tray to accept the smaller disks. Good luck with yours...

Ohgr

Cool... thanks ohgr...

Here's an idea for the original poster:

This download is for users who don't have Microsoft PowerPoint®; it allows them to view PowerPoint 95, 97, 2000, and 2002 presentations.

I think there is a version for the Mac (I dunno) and I'm sure someone out there has made a Linux version....

So, if the original poster has PowerPoint, or access to it, such as at work, they could make a powerpoint fairly easily. They could also include a simple HTML file on the CD with links to official download sites, such as the one above (because I SURE wouldn't install an .EXE from a CD that could be of dubious origin - virus scanner not-withstanding...).

Just a thought. PP is easy to use, and I bet it could be played on anything. Well... OK, you Commodore 64 users are out of luck, but what do you want ME to do about it? <_<

Cool... thanks ohgr...

Here's an idea for the original poster:

This download is for users who don't have Microsoft PowerPoint®; it allows them to view PowerPoint 95, 97, 2000, and 2002 presentations.

I think there is a version for the Mac (I dunno) and I'm sure someone out there has made a Linux version....

So, if the original poster has PowerPoint, or access to it, such as at work, they could make a powerpoint fairly easily. They could also include a simple HTML file on the CD with links to official download sites, such as the one above (because I SURE wouldn't install an .EXE from a CD that could be of dubious origin - virus scanner not-withstanding...).

Just a thought. PP is easy to use, and I bet it could be played on anything. Well... OK, you Commodore 64 users are out of luck, but what do you want ME to do about it? <_<

I have actually started to create the shell using HTML. My biggest problem is making the short animation I want when you insert the cd in the drive. Anyone help me with that?

i record in both mini-cd and MD frmat. i don't usually put MD in caches because not a lot of people have MD players. nice format, though. very handy for live recrding quick and dirty.

i regularly use mini cd for signature items, but only with music. i don't use both music and image because i'd need to have it just play when you pop it in, and i don't truck with multi-platforms. is it possible to do this in html, maybe? it's versatile and works from machine to machine, withour regard (mostly) to OS.

I don't have either one of them

I think this is a really neat idea. One thing to consider......

Once you have the content of the disk created, in order to really "spiff it up" you may want to have a way for the content to start automatically when the disk is inserted in the person's machine.

To do this, you will need to create an "autorun.inf" file. This is the file that Windows looks for when a CD is inserted. If it finds that file, it will automatically do whatever is programmed in the autorun file. You can create an autorun file simply by typing it up in Notepad (or any word processor) and then saving it with the name of autorun.inf

The contents of the autorun file do need to be laid out rather carefully. If you search the 'net you will find sites that give a list of commands that can be used in this file. Basically, you can specify what program to open, and what file to run IN that program. Below, I have printed the contents of an autorun file I created. This particular file will run a PowerPoint presentation called "InternetHelpDesk". The file assumes the viewer has the PowerPoint Viewer program already installed in the C: drive in the "Program Files" folder. When you write an autorun file, you will probably have to assume something about the user's machine in order to make your file run by itself.

If nothing else, you might just make a simple text file called "ReadMe" or something. Then create an autorun file that will automatically open that readme file using the viewer's Windows Notepad program. Since that program is always installed in the same place on a Windows machine, you would be able to specify the path to the program and use it to automatically open your ReadMe file. In that ReadMe file you could put in directioos on how to open the rest of the files, etc. Below this are the 3 lines that are in the autorun.inf file I created:

[autorun]

OPEN=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Powerpoint Viewer/PPTVIEW.exe InternetHelpDesk.PPS

There's no way to say this without being percevied as The Grand Pooper of Parties, but ... don't you think that people might be a bit wary about popping a CD-ROM in their computer from an unverified source, especially considering that it's going to run without their interaction or approval? I mean, I'd like to think that the geocaching community doesn't have any devious schemesters lurking. I'd like to think that, yeah.

I have a CD that I leave in caches sometimes, but it's "Kevmikwa's Greatest Hits, Grades 1-8" (music from my pre-high-school years). I don't think people are as worried about music CDs hosing their CD players.

There's no way to say this without being percevied as The Grand Pooper of Parties, but ... don't you think that people might be a bit wary about popping a CD-ROM in their computer from an unverified source, especially considering that it's going to run without their interaction or approval? I mean, I'd like to think that the geocaching community doesn't have any devious schemesters lurking. I'd like to think that, yeah.

I have a CD that I leave in caches sometimes, but it's "Kevmikwa's Greatest Hits, Grades 1-8" (music from my pre-high-school years). I don't think people are as worried about music CDs hosing their CD players.

I had actually thought of that. I have absolutely no intentions of doing anything malicious here, but don't most computers have virus scanners anyway?

I had actually thought of that. I have absolutely no intentions of doing anything malicious here, but don't most computers have virus scanners anyway?

That is true, good point. But if you can make a CD-ROM run a program, what's keeping you from creating and automatically running your own batch file on the CD-ROM that says ...

DEL C:*.*

... or something just as devious? I know something as simple as the above example would probably not work ... that text might get caught by a virus protection program anyway ... but it does speak to the potential for danger.

I wouldn't think that you'd do anything malicious, Insp Gadget - I apologize for any perceived accusation. None was intended.

I'd be willing to bet that you can trust 99.99% of the geocaching community - we're a pretty good group. I just fear that it's that 1 in 10,000 that will cause people to pause when they see your calling card in the cache. Today's cyber-paranoia would likely keep people from seeing some pretty cool and completely innocuous stuff.

You wouldn't necessarilly have to have a actual animation of the real insp. gadget.

How about you dress up as inspector gadget and make a video of you being gadget finding a cache? All it would take is a trenchcoat and a hat.

Go go gadget GPS could have a GPS Fall out of your sleeve attached to a slinky. Make it absurd and fun. With just a little bit of simple editing you could "go go gadget skateboard" across the parking lot.

The thing that would keep you from running a malicious program is your name and email address on the cd label. If someone was concerned about it they could email you first. Your also limited somewhat by what you can do in the autorun though I'm sure there are ways to be malicious if people try hard enough. If you can't trust a cache enough to run a cd from it then how do you know the cache itself isn't booby trapped?

First, the auto run thing. If you don't trust the creator of the CD's autorun.inf file, then just don't let it run.

Hold down the <shift> key when you put in the CD and it spins up. That will keep it from auto launching.

Second. There comes a time when you just have to trust your own judgement. If you don't trust the CD, then don't take it. It's as simple as that.

On to Inspector Gadget's issue.

I like the idea of doing a web page type thing. I also like the idea about the "secret" cache. You could put some great swag in that one. Or better yet, have the "secret" cache be an event.

F_M

You were asking about ideas for what people might like to see? If you are able to either add a video clip or pics, I would enjoy finding out more about you. Do you have pets? I'd love to see them. Do you fish? Maybe a video of you reeling in a whopper. Are you near a cool landmark or something historical? Include it! Do the trees in your area turn great fall colors, before they drop...a beautiful view of pastures out your back deck....snow covered mountains....a great garden? You get the idea. Not too personal. I know I wouldn't want photos/video of my family and house on a cd to be spread around the world, but maybe more general personal info. These are just some suggestions I know I would enjoy....