Favorite Non-urban Caches

maleki

Will be in this area in a week or so. Please nominate your favorite caches in the Memphis/Birmingham/Chattanooga/Nashville area and points in between. Prefer the non-urban variety but I'm sure we'll spend a solid day in the Nashville city limits also.

We'll most likely have a canoe and/or bikes along so caches agreeable with those also helpful.

We look forward to caching in the area so any helpful recommendations most appreciated.

maleki & C

If you want to spend a whole day at one cache, do Pure Evil or Pack a Lunch. Bwahaha Other cool caches around the Nashville area: Honey Locust Cam, Train Wreck Redo (havent found this one yet), Sticks and Stones, Total Confusion, Cumberland Cliffhanger, Going Gibson (middle of Downtown).

Good Luck

EDIT:Did a real neat cache today called My Church Cache

Edited by Volwrath

Here are a few in the Memphis area that may interest you. Yes, some are mine, but I like them... :rolleyes:

4x4 Offroad Adventure. 4x4 not required, but you could make use of your canoe with proper planning.

Shelby Farms Multi. 3.5 mile hike in 4500 acre Shelby Farms.

Many other non-urban caches in the park.

Pretty much anything by ArkansasBugman or CWL.

Trashcann Spring and A Walk In the Woods are both nice hikes in Shelby Forest State Park.

How much time will you have in Chattanooga? That way I can try to list those that will be suitable. Also, why no urban caches - just wondering?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We'll be passing thru the area following our sons college baseball team on their spring trip south. Caching time will depend on game times and lengths and weather, etc. A lot of caches we'll stop at will just be those along the route whatever type they might be. I have all the caches in Tennessee(N. AL, W. KY, IL, etc) as of today in MS S&T and GSAK ready to go.

Chattanooga will probably be as far east as we get . We might spend a late afternoon/early am in the area. We might not get that far at all. No definite plans other than to try to make the games.

Get to do enough urban drive up micros in the Chicago area. Just don't get the point of a cache in a busy city park or in view of someones house. We find 'em if they're nearby - why not. Some are better than others but given a choice, we'd rather take a wallk in a woodsy area, maybe with a bit of vertical change. The Chicago area sure is flat - a bit of change will be appreciated. I'm sure we'll do a day in Nashville and try for a 'best' day number, so we will do a bunch of in town caches, but would rather do a couple challenging terrain caches than a dozen drive ups in town. Just a personal preference for us - we'll find(at least try) anything we come close to as time permits.

Just looking for suggestions for caches that just might be worth taking a detour for, The 2 or 3 Must-do's in your area.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

maleki & C

The Nashville group at http://www.mtgc.org has recognized the need to assemble a list of "Nashville's Greatest Hits" but we haven't got a list put together yet. We're working on it. On our forums (at the above site) we have a couple of threads with recommendations of our locals. My recommendations for non-urban treks are the "deep in da woods" series, those in Warner Parks or the Old HIckory/Percy Priest Lake areas. We don't have west TN terrain here, so don't saddle up for epic overnight hikes or such.

The only thing we ask is that if you come and visit a zillion of our easy ones and complain about them, that you also visit - and find - 30% of ours that are above a difficulty 2.5. Yeah, we have "easy" but we also have some really rascally ones. Crank up the difficulty from the likes of JoGPS, The Gorilla Freedom Finders if you want to see the local evil.

The Nashville group at http://www.mtgc.org has recognized the need to assemble a list of "Nashville's Greatest Hits" but we haven't got a list put together yet. We're working on it. On our forums (at the above site) we have a couple of threads with recommendations of our locals. My recommendations for non-urban treks are the "deep in da woods" series, those in Warner Parks or the Old HIckory/Percy Priest Lake areas. We don't have west TN terrain here, so don't saddle up for epic overnight hikes or such.

The only thing we ask is that if you come and visit a zillion of our easy ones and complain about them, that you also visit - and find - 30% of ours that are above a difficulty 2.5. Yeah, we have "easy" but we also have some really rascally ones. Crank up the difficulty from the likes of JoGPS, The Gorilla Freedom Finders if you want to see the local evil.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did put message up on the MTGC board a couple weeks ago and got a few replies but the thread sort of died after a couple responses. One person emailed directly mentioned a problem with some of the 'better' caches in your area disappearing recently so I understand the reluctance to suggest them publicly.

All in all I'm sure will have a great several days while in the area for our son's baseball games. Checked the weather and it looks great for next week. We're getting several inches of new snow in the Chicago area as I'm writing this.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.