City Select 5.02

thcri

I might be missing something here but someone can help me it would be appreciated. It was my understanding the you could put in a start point and a end point and City Select would pick the best roads. You could view and edit it and then upload it to your GPS?

What I see is you have to find the start point on the map and then click the roads yourself to get to the end point? I thought the whole thing was to help you find the best route to a address. Am I not doing it right or what? I looked in the help section and I see not way of it automatically finding the roads for you.

murph :D

I might be missing something here but someone can help me it would be appreciated. It was my understanding the you could put in a start point and a end point and City Select would pick the best roads. You could view and edit it and then upload it to your GPS?

What I see is you have to find the start point on the map and then click the roads yourself to get to the end point? I thought the whole thing was to help you find the best route to a address. Am I not doing it right or what? I looked in the help section and I see not way of it automatically finding the roads for you.

murph :D

Hi murph. It sounds like you may have "direct route" selected in Mapsource rather than "auto-route". You can find it in preferences under the "routing tab".

Cheers, Olar

First make sure you have chosen North American City Select V5 from the drop down menu on top of the page to the right. This may be the only selection you have, I have several different maps on mine. Make sure you click the maptool icon, left top. Just click on the map area you wish to load. A yellow square will show up to tell you what area on the map you are loading. When you click that area, it will put it on the maps tab. Make sure the box is checked at the bottom of the map tab for auto routing. You can zoom in on the map too to get a better idea of where you are and what map "set" you want to choose. When you have chosen your maps, download them to the GPS. Then on the GPS main menu, you should have a tab that says Mapsource info, click that and the GPS will show you what maps are installed. (This works with my GPS V, haven't gotten my 60CS yet. Should be similar. ) Then, I would let the GPS do the routing for you. I'm not sure if you can type in a starting address in Mapsource and then an ending address and get a route, I'm checking on that now.

Edited by Team BlackZ
I might be missing something here but someone can help me it would be appreciated.  It was my understanding the you could put in a start point and a end point and City Select would pick the best roads.  You could view and edit it and then upload it to your GPS?

What I see is you have to find the start point on the map and then click the roads yourself to get to the end point?  I thought the whole thing was to help you find the best route to a address.  Am I not doing it right or what?  I looked in the help section and I see not way of it automatically finding the roads for you.

murph :rolleyes:

Hi murph. It sounds like you may have "direct route" selected in Mapsource rather than "auto-route". You can find it in preferences under the "routing tab".

Cheers, Olar

Yes, I did click direct route because it was taking me places I knew where way out of the way. I can change it back. So if I take and click on a start point and a end point it will automatically route for me? Also I notice on my trial run and then went out with my GPS it seams my GPS only beeped on the points I put in. So if there was a turn it did not beap me.

murph

To autoroute in MapSource, after you have your two points selected, you have to press the "Recalculate" button.

To see if you have any maps uploaded on the GPSr, go to the map page and then press the "Menu" button, then select "Setup Map" and then press the "Enter" button. You should see 6 icons at the top of the page. Scroll over to the "Circle-I" icon (fifth from the left). That will show you individual map segments that have been uploaded.

If you press the "Menu" button from that list, you will see several options including what MapSource titles have been uploaded (Topo, MetroGuide, City Select). If you have more than one title of maps installed, this is where you select which map to show on the Map page.

First make sure you have chosen North American City Select V5 from the drop down menu on top of the page to the right. This may be the only selection you have, I have several different maps on mine. Make sure you click the maptool icon, left top. Just click on the map area you wish to load. A yellow square will show up to tell you what area on the map you are loading. When you click that area, it will put it on the maps tab. Make sure the box is checked at the bottom of the map tab for auto routing. You can zoom in on the map too to get a better idea of where you are and what map "set" you want to choose. When you have chosen your maps, download them to the GPS. Then on the GPS main menu, you should have a tab that says Mapsource info, click that and the GPS will show you what maps are installed. (This works with my GPS V, haven't gotten my 60CS yet. Should be similar. ) Then, I would let the GPS do the routing for you. I'm not sure if you can type in a starting address in Mapsource and then an ending address and get a route, I'm checking on that now.

I found that I can search by address at both ends. Then click on the beginning waypoint created on the map and the end waypoint created on the map. Then auto-routing kicks in at that point. I have now created three routes.

However, I did notice that when I do the auto-routing my GPS will not beep as I come up to the turns? Is this because I did not let my GPS do the auto routing? Also how do I check me memory percentage on the 60CS. I could find it in my Vista real easy but can't find it on the CS. Can't find it in the manual either.

murph

Actually I am really having fun here. I think this unit is a good one and I just have to play with it.

how do I check me memory percentage on the 60CS.

For the Track Log memory:

Main Menu page

Tracks

Press "Enter" button

If you're interested in mapping memory, you have to look in MapSource. When you have the appropriate map segments selected, click on the "Maps" tab and look in the bottom left. It displays how many map segments are selected and the amount of required memory.

If you're not sure what maps are installed, just send "Maps" from the GPSr to MapSource. When map data goes in this direction, it just sends a list to MapSource, so it doesn't take any time to do that.

Edited by Neo_Geo