Gps Software & Laptops

Ficky

What exactly is it that you'd like to do with the laptop? Run moving map applications? Upload/download tracklogs or waypoints? Load maps into a receiver?

Win 95 is not the newest OS, but is still supported by a fair bit of hardware and software. It's not the age of the car that matters, but whether or not it gets you to your destination.

it'll be so i dont have to have my gps on and kill the batteries. So I can track my location and get close to a cache and then use my gps.

You might look into USAPhotoMap. It may work under Win95.

You also might consider getting a car cord for your GPS so you don't run down the batteries. It also means you won't have to haul or stash the laptop so it won't be stolen.

Also give some thought to upgrading to Win98 or 98SE. Win95 has been long discontinued and no longer supported by anyone. Win98 was supposed to have been dropped over but then MS went and extended the time limit. Also you'll find it easer to find software that will support 98. I don't think 98 requires much more then 95 did, so I think it should get by on that old hardware. The biggest concern I'd have is finding the drivers for that laptop. The old 95 drivers may not work. But you might find them on the companies web site.

Just bite the bullet and install W2K.....I have an IBM Thinkpad Pentium II - 233 MHz and it works like a champ. It was also MUCH easier to setup on my wireless home network, and there is no authorization code to mess with, if you change out hardware. As was mentioned earlier, get the Power Adapter fro your GPSr....then hook up the Laptop and go for it. I actually have a cable which includes the power adapter along with the PC connector...a little spendy, but does the trick.

Edited by jbhooker3