Caches In Dangerous Places--logs Deleted

Archangel13

When recently out caching, I went to a cache local to my apartment listed as "The Dark side of the force: Cherrygrove". When I arrives at the location, the site was little with old boards on the ground with nails sticking out of them, and broken glass bottles littering the area. I saw the cache, which had been ransacked. We checked it and there was nothing in it.

I left a log stating that this was a dangerous area and people could be injured, but it was soon archived/deleted so that people could not see it. If this poses a danger, why is the post deleted? Can this be removed? I do not want to have children or families being endangered over a pasttime/sport that we greatly enjoy, which could make this website, the cache owners, or even myself for not providing a warning, liable for any injuries suffered by cache-seekers. I can show you the pictures of the location if necessary to prove the validity of my statements.

Please advise.

Thanx,

Archangel13

Edited by Archangel13

Your log was fine and probably what you should of made a note of. You did your part. The archived note still exists on the server.

Call it a day and move on. You could post an archive this cache note, but you know the owner is paying attention so an email is in order saying the cache had been plundered. That area sounds like an attractive nuisance (the kind of place I actually like) and you can expect traffic there that will plunder the cache. They probably used one of those boards on the cache and had a lot of fun.

I'd post the photos you have to your log. Recently I visited a cache that is located in a very non-memorable location. There was debris all over the area where the cache was to have been located. I never did find the thing, but I posted a photo of the immediate area if anyone wanted to see what they were in store for.

Jamie

Is it in bad taste to keep posting a log to it?

Who is more stubborn? You or the cache owner who will just keep deleting your log?

I wouldn't worry about it anymore. You tried to point out an issue you thought was important, and you unintentionally rubbed the cache owner the wrong way. No use fighting over it now.

Edited by Stunod
Is it in bad taste to keep posting a log to it?

I would think it's bad form. Also all that we have here is your opinion. The owner of the cache probably has a different opinion. I once had a cacher demand my cache be archived because there was broken glass all over the place. It was in a park and when I went there I saw a broken bottle about 50 feet away. Big deal, I picked it up.

As Renegade Knight said above, you can always post a "Should be Archived" note after having a log deleted because it contained a warning you felt strongly about. Even if the cache owner chooses to delete your log, a copy of the archive request lands in the mailboxes of several Groundspeak volunteers, including myself. If we go to the cache page and discover that the archive request has been deleted, that fact is certainly taken into consideration in determining the proper course of action.

And don't feel bad, Archangel, you're in good company. This particular cache owner has deleted notes left on his cache pages by myself and other admins. We've since programmed around that. :unsure:

As Renegade Knight said above, you can always post a "Should be Archived" note after having a log deleted because it contained a warning you felt strongly about. Even if the cache owner chooses to delete your log, a copy of the archive request lands in the mailboxes of several Groundspeak volunteers, including myself. If we go to the cache page and discover that the archive request has been deleted, that fact is certainly taken into consideration in determining the proper course of action.

And don't feel bad, Archangel, you're in good company. This particular cache owner has deleted notes left on his cache pages by myself and other admins. We've since programmed around that. :unsure:

Others who have visited this cached also have told me that this cache is very inappropriately placed. Its not just a broken bottle thing, but lots of dangerous-type debris in that area. I would not have posted if it were a one bottle thing.

Thanx for the support, Keystone. I appreciate knowing of prior cases of this sort.

Thanx,

Archangel13