I'm Confused :blink:

wandawatermelon

:smile: My husband and I are new to this fun activity and we are confused about the difference between the various GPS units. We have heard that depending on the unit used, the coordinates could be slightly different. Why? Aren't all units reading the same satellites? We have been skunked several times. Our coordinates are right on the numbers, but even with the hint, we have not been able to locate the cache. Our most recent skunk led us to an old garbage pile. (We did practice caching in and garbage out). Are we doing something incorrect?

Thanks for your help.

A GPS isn't always perfectly accurate. They will get you within 10-20 feet or so of the cache. Don't worry too much about the difference between brands at the moment because people love to debate which is better. The main thing is to know that you will not always find the cache right at the coordinates. You might have to look around a bit. Sometimes it helps to stop and wonder about where you would hide something in the area and then look there!

Edited by carleenp

A couple of things you should check:

Coordinate format: This site lists the coordinates in Degrees, Decimal minutes (DD MM.mmm). Make sure that your GPS is set up right to enter coodinates in this format.

Datum: GC.com used the WGS84 datum. Again, make sure your GPS is set up correctly.

Don't expect the GPS to perfectly nail it! It's common starting out to think the GPS numbers are accurate. They come close, but vary. Morning to evening, next day, different weather conditions, all result in different numbers for the same physical place.

This is why, when hiding a cache, averaging readings from multiple days is useful.

When caching with others, you'll find multiple units won't agree, hence the joke, "a man with a GPS knows where he is, a man with two GPS's is lost".

Assuming you have the correct coordinate system setup, when you get 20' away from the cache, put the GPS away and look around for where someone might hide something. Search around that area. If you don't come up with it after a bit, double-check the GPS (to be sure it hasn't gotten better signal/readings.)

Since the satellite signals come from SO far away, the slightest variance 'causes a big difference at this end.

That's what makes this hobby fun and challenging rather than all of us brainlessly following an electronic pointer right to a container!

Enjoy,

Randy

Also if there is a lot of trees use your GOTO feature if you have it from 3 or 4 different locations. Then average where your being pointed to. That helps but the idea of putting your GPS away when you are within 10 feet or so is a good idea. I have been lucky so far, I have one out of 14 finds that I can't find and I will go back next spring but I pretty much pulled the rest of the hair out of my head trying to find.

Best of luck to you and hang in there.

murph

Aren't all units reading the same satellites?

Often, no. Two GPSs only 5 feet apart may not be using the exact same set of satellites. One GPS may have a clear view of a satellite, while the other one can't see it due to a tree limb. Same goes for blocking signals with your body. And if one GPS has WAAS turned on, it may be ignoring the satellites it doesn't have WAAS correction data for.

Someone in here once said: A man with a GPS always know where he is. A man with two GPS' is never really sure. I've been out with 2 other caches, put all three units together and gotten 3 different readings. 2 of the units were Magellan the other was a Garmin, none had the same coords. Start looking for likely hiding spots as you approach the cache site. Then start from "ground zero" and slowly expand your search. On your fist few finds don't hesitate to use the hint. Have fun!

Edited by JMBella

The best thing to do is make sure you have your GPS unit WAAS turned on; with that feature activated, you can get within a few feet of the cache (I'm assuming you have a WAAS enabled GPS unit and are in North America). When you get to the cache site, look for things out of place, piles of leaves just don't fit the location, stacks of sticks and branches, an area that looks like other people have walked on, etc. You'll soon develop a knack for seeing these things, and it will get easier and easier. Good luck, and welcome to the sport!

I aggree with everything that has been said here, and I would say to start with some caches that are rated easy 1 difficulty 1 terrain. After you find a few you start to get a feel for it and can almost spot the cache from 20-30 feet away. That's not always the case but it does happen sometimes. I hope this helps.