miles on the by zip page

Suziq

there is a column on the locating caches by zip page that is inbetween the description and the type of cache. What exactly is this. I assumed it was like miles from the city center or from the post office. but if it is they are realy far off. Is this how much walking is involved in the Cache??

Please can any one help me??

Usually means distance from the center of that zip code you searched by - you can also toggle that to mean km (kilometers) - from the bottom of the page.

--------------------------------------------------

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised." - Jack Handy

You can make the 'nearest' page much more accurate by going outside your house/apartment marking a waypoint, and using those coordinates as your 'Home Coordinates' on your profile. Then go to your 'my cache page' and click the 'search for nearest cache to your home coordinates' link in the upper right corner.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Usually means distance from the center of that zip code you searched by - you can also toggle that to mean km (kilometers) - from the bottom of the page.

It's actually nowhere near the center of the zipcode, nor is it the location of post office. When I key in my zipcode, ground zero is about 4 miles from the post office and near the southern edge of my town.

I'm not sure what the criteria are that they use, but this website seems put ground zero at about the the same spot that Mapblast defaults to if I just key in my zipcode without a street address.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It's actually nowhere near the center of the zipcode, nor is it the location of post office. When I key in my zipcode, ground zero is about 4 miles from the post office and near the southern edge of my town.

I'm not sure what the criteria are that they use, but this website seems put ground zero at about the the same spot that Mapblast defaults to if I just key in my zipcode without a street address.

Are you sure you're looking at just the mileage? There's a pretty bad formatting problem on this screen, especially when using a 1024x768 screen size. If the cache was place prior to 2003, it appends a 2 digit year to the Date Place value. Since there is very little space between the end of the year digits, and the mileage digits, they can appear to run together. For example, a cache that was placed in 2002 that's 0.7 miles away, can appear to be 20.7 miles away.

Example:

3608_4500.gif

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Are you sure you're looking at just the mileage? There's a pretty bad formatting problem on this screen, especially when using a 1024x768 screen size. If the cache was place prior to 2003, it appends a 2 digit year to the Date Place value. Since there is very little space between the end of the year digits, and the mileage digits, they can appear to run together. For example, a cache that was placed in 2002 that's 0.7 miles away, can appear to be 20.7 miles away.

Yes, I am certain. The nearest listed cache is less than 1.5 miles away (and has been since 2001). The post office is almost 4 miles away. The "geographic center" of town is about 3 miles away.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry