Ontario Hits 1500 Caches!!!

res2100

I just noticed that Ontario now has 1500 caches as for today, with the placement/approval of The Wrong Side of the Tracks by Geofellas (GCHQZ6). I think this is an awesome milestone to reach, and I can see that BC will probably reach it soon too, perhaps in another couple months.

Not sure if there is a way to find out, but I wonder about a couple of the following:

1) How many active caches were there at this point last year...2 years ago...3 years ago.

2) How many total caches have been placed in Ontario (this would include archived caches too)

...lets see some predictions...I say 3000 caches for Ontario by this time next year (February 22, 2005), which I think is very much possible the way this sport is growing exponentially.

1) How many active caches were there at this point last year...2 years ago...3 years ago.

The answer to the second bit is easy - just one. The first cache in Ontario has just had its 3rd birthday. Deer Bait by Peter Ferguson . Hidden 2/17/2001 and still active with 65 finds to date. Sounds like it could use some maintenance though - maybe OGA should take this one on to preserve a piece of geocaching history.

2 years ago #151 Hidden Clearing

1 year ago #657 On Target

1, 151, 657, 1500 - looks pretty exponential to me.

Edited by Hard Oiler
I just noticed that Ontario now has 1500 caches as for today

How come today it says 1496. We lost a few overnight? This is only active caches and not counting ones that have been retired etc.

It would be interesting to see the historical stats.

All caches in Ontario.

Go to the above link and find your cache and then count back to page 75 to see how caches are before yours. My first cache is number 20 on the list that is still active.

:smile:

How come today it says 1496. We lost a few overnight?

Looks like Cache-Tech just archived 6 caches this afternoon (good job!), as we were up to 1502 at around noon today.

Go to the above link and find your cache and then count back to page 75 to see how caches are before yours. My first cache is number 20 on the list that is still active.

Good idea...only problem it wouldn't take into account caches that were active 1 year ago but are not any longer...so the number would be lower than were actually there at that point last year. Hard Oiler, is that how you got the numbers for 1 year ago, 2 years ego? Or I would be interested to know how else you got them, and I would like to check certain #s on specific dates.

I just noticed that Ontario now has 1500 caches as for today

How come today it says 1496. We lost a few overnight? This is only active caches and not counting ones that have been retired etc.

It would be interesting to see the historical stats.

All caches in Ontario.

:smile:

Oops, I archived some disabled/missing caches today. I was looking at the caches for Ontario, I am not sure how many have been archived but I found this one to be the first cache placed in Ontario

tazz

But it was never found, Deer Bait was Ontario's first successful cache.

Right now there has been 2016 caches submitted in Ontario, this includes all caches, the never approved caches, archived caches and caches pending approval. I have no way to tell them apart unless I look at through the 101 pages of the cache list.

I was curious on how many caches I have reviewed since starting this summer, at this time it is over 1000 caches across Canada. Geocaching has grown alot since I started caching and now that I am reviewing caches, I notice how many new cachers are joining and see some that no longer cache. It has been alot of fun :mad: Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean about a 1 year ago?

What I meant by this is that if on Feb 22, 2003 (1 year ago) you went to this link Ontario Caches of all Ontario Caches, what would be the total # of caches that would appear on that date in that list. Note that this would not include caches that are archived and that list would have had several more caches on there that are not listed on there anymore today. I hope that question makes sense. By going to that link now and simply looking for the point where caches were placed on Feb 22, 2003 and then counting from that point and back does not give any sort of accurate count of the amount in existence on that day in history...the number would be too low, do to cache now archived that would have been on the list at that point in time.

I can remember a time on Geocaching.com where you entered your coordinates, hit Find and then nothing came back. You were then prompted with a "Why not Hide Your Own Cache?" and a link to the stashing part of the site. Needless to say, I've not seen that screen for a very long time. [:)] My first successful find was Bending Tree and the difficulty of this find helped set my standards for hiding caches since. [:D] I think I'm averaging about 4 caches per month, not a lot by some standards, but normally only go after the tougher or more interesting finds. Its good fun though and an excellent excuse to get outside and enjoy yourself. I'm only too sorry that none of my friends have taken it up. <sigh> Cheers! Coupar-Angus

Hurrah for DEER BAIT!

First cache I found, first successful cache in Ontario, still alive (thanks to Flick's daughter kdkk17).

And in one of the best parks in Ontario, that being Short Hills. Just my opinion and yours may vary. If you wanna argue the fact, let's do it over dinner.

I am darned proud to say that I was very lucky to have DEER BAIT as my first ever cache.

But however you feel about caching, at least we have the best area for caching... that being CANADA.

Okay, back to your regular rants in the other discussion groups.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar