Dog Pack

Chuy!

Try Wolf Packs (www.wolfpacks.com). They make a wide range of dog equipment (hiking packs, service dog packs, "capes", harnesses, etc) and seem to be very careful about fit and comfort for the dog. Ruff Wear also makes nice packs, but they're a bit more expensive. I'm getting the basic reflective Wolf Pack for my mutt-beast once he stops growing.

You might find the book "Hiking With Dogs" by Linda B. Mullally useful. It's inexpensive, too. ($6.95.)

There is a backpacking dog club on the internet (Canine Backpackers) that has a lot of good resources.

I can tell you what NOT to get. Don't buy the cheapest ones that do not have padded straps. I bought one of these once and it got tossed pretty quick. It never adjusted right and the dog found it uncomfortable.

I now have one (Sorry don't remember the brand) that has padded straps, including the chest strap.

I apologise for sounding a little sceptical, but, what do you make your dog carry ??

Usually people have the dog carry its own water and lunch etc. The packs can be quite useful for longer hikes.

Also, her leach and/or extra leaches, a small water bowl, toys, first aid kit, etc..., and of course, a my-handler-is-lost card of sorts with my name and number. The pack will take some weight off myself as I already carry stuff for my daughters (6&8 yrs old).

Additionally, my golden is only 8monts old; I'm hoping the bags will prevent her from dashing into thick brush where she could get hurt or run into other animals (i.e. snakes).

The general rule of thumb is dog should not carry more than 1/3 their wieght. I will be starting out much less with our golden.

One website I looked at said a well condition sled dog can carry 50% his/her weight!

This site has good general info, GORP.com

I am no expert - I only just ordered a dog pack yesterday, but I have done some research. Naturally younger dogs will be easier to accostume them to wear a pack. Some dogs will not flinch when a pack is put on; others may bite at the straps; and yet others will struggle to get the pack off. For these last two groups the key is to get them used to wearing something on their back. My golden was wearing cutesy dog shirts at 5mos; she seemed uncomfortable at first, but after a couple of hours she was her usual self.

When my pack arrives, I intend on putting it on empty and taking short walks in the neighborhood. I will slowy introduce weight. Eventually, she sill equate the dog pack with hiking/taking a walk, something most dogs love to do. When I first put on a harness on our golden, she fought me as I put it on. Now, when I break out the harness, she drops what she is doing and runs over to me; if I hesitate to lift her paw to slip the harness on, she will lift it herself. Sometimes, she falls on the ground with both paws in the air. I have no doubts the pack will eventually produce the same results.