Poison Oak

travisl

366489_200.JPG

After about 50 visits, I've had a grand total of zero cachers indicate that they were affected by the poison oak growing rampant around my Sund Rock cache. This would include myself and my family, who placed the cache and crawled all around the area oblivious to the presence of the poison oak.

This leads me to think that either:

a) This isn't really poison oak,

b ) This is a special poison-free poison oak strain, or

c) We're all cyborgs.

Does this look like poison oak to you? Ever hear of non-poisonous poison oak?

(Edit: my b ) became a :rolleyes: )

Edited by travisl

that sure does look liek poison oak! Travis, can you send us a good closeup of a 3-leaf pattern and the stem if possible. The stems are usually sort of reddish/green and the leaves themselves have a shiny/oily appearance. this time of the year, the leaves will be coming out and will be more red than green. Very poisonous now! Now some people are immune ot poison oak like my lucky grandfather.

I've never heard of a non-poisonous strand of P-oak...I suppose that could be possible. I'll try googling that.

Anyway, if you can get us a close-up one of the 3-leaf patterns and stem, identification might be more definite. I will say that the actual leaf shape and size varies alot...the 3-leaf pattern is standard though.

Are there oak trees nearby??? sometimes, young oak can kind of look like p-oak.

When I did Sund Rock last summer there was one plant that stood about 3 feet high that was very very shiny. This was a light green in color. I did not see anything else that looked suspicious. I have not had much experience with PO so I can't say whether it was PO or not, but it did not look familiar.

I grew up in southern California where poison oak is rampant in the coastal sagebrush scrub vegetation that was my boyhood stomping ground. That's a dead ringer for poison oak, in my opinion. I never had any reaction to poison oak growing up, even though I literally wallowed in it before I could identify it. My boyhood hiking partners, though, bloated out with severe skin reactions. I still avoid it.

if you can get us a close-up one of the 3-leaf patterns and stem, identification might be more definite.

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite will be out there before I can be. Maybe they can snap a photo this weekend?

Are there oak trees nearby??? sometimes, young oak can kind of look like p-oak.

Nope. And unlike little oak trees, the smaller patches seem to be on stems coming straight out of the ground, not a central tiny trunk.

I'm leaning towards c) at this point. :rolleyes:

366489_200.JPG

After about 50 visits, I've had a grand total of zero cachers indicate that they were affected by the poison oak growing rampant around my Sund Rock cache. This would include myself and my family, who placed the cache and crawled all around the area oblivious to the presence of the poison oak.

This leads me to think that either:

a) This isn't really poison oak,

b ) This is a special poison-free poison oak strain, or

c) We're all cyborgs.

Does this look like poison oak to you? Ever hear of non-poisonous poison oak?

(Edit: my b ) became a :lol: )

Travisl, what you apparently have found here is known as "Parthenocissus quinquefolia", more commonly known as Virginia Creeper, and most often mistaken for Poison Oak. There are a handful of Ivies and associated vines that are quite frequently mistaken for poison oak and poison ivy, however, this one is the most common one in that list. Still, it is best to avoid anything that you may think is poisonous, just to be on the safe side.

As for immunity, yes, some people have natural immunities to poison oak and/or ivy. My uncle Harold is one example of that. My brother, on the other hand, is highly allergic to the point of being near enough a plant on a humid day without actual contact is enough to give him an anaphylactic reaction (allergic shock, involving respiratory failure due to swelling in the throat and nasal passages).

For more information, do a google search for Poison Oak lookalikes..... :rolleyes:

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) is a vine plant with 5 leaves. This plant grows under similar conditions to poison ivy and is often confused for it.  However, varieties found in Northeast US timberlands have been noted to have three leaves with "sawtooth" edges that very closely resemble Poison Oak.  These variations of Virginia Creeper are most often mistaken for Poison Oak, and rightly so.

Text copied directly from "A Field Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Northeastern United States". But, I guess a well-recognized scientific book used in most major botany classes could be wrong.....

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) is a vine plant with 5 leaves. This plant grows under similar conditions to poison ivy and is often confused for it.  However, varieties found in Northeast US timberlands have been noted to have three leaves with "sawtooth" edges that very closely resemble Poison Oak.  These variations of Virginia Creeper are most often mistaken for Poison Oak, and rightly so.

Text copied directly from "A Field Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Northeastern United States". But, I guess a well-recognized scientific book used in most major botany classes could be wrong.....

It's only wrong when you're reading it :rolleyes:

Stop making sense like this, you're scaring me!

BTW, I've either never touched poison oak/poison ivy or I'm immune

It's only wrong when you're reading it :rolleyes:

Stop making sense like this, you're scaring me!

BTW, I've either never touched poison oak/poison ivy or I'm immune

Sorry, I'll go back to nonsense....apparently my credibility is nill....but my father, the botanist, is turning over in his grave right now......

I guess they only get three leaves in the northeast. Must be the freezing weather or acid rain. :rolleyes:

Definitely not Virginia Creeper! VG is more of a vining plant and has five leaves:

parqui02.jpg

As EGH said, Poison Oak has only three leaves and the lobes can be fairly sharp in some plants to very rounded in others. The most common mistake in identifying it is more likely to occur when it is growing in an area of Oak seedlings that look very similar at that stage.

Remember the old adage: Leaves of three, let it be.

PoisonOak5e.jpg

Edited by Navdog

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite will be out there before I can be. Maybe they can snap a photo this weekend?

We were out there saturday and I would say that those aren't poison oak bushes at Sund. We grow that stuff by the acre lots on our property in Oregon. The cache is in great shape and I'd say the only concern is the steep hike down to the cache not the fauna surroudning it :lol:

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite will be out there before I can be.  Maybe they can snap a photo this weekend?

We were out there saturday and I would say that those aren't poison oak bushes at Sund. We grow that stuff by the acre lots on our property in Oregon. The cache is in great shape and I'd say the only concern is the steep hike down to the cache not the fauna surroudning it :D

Yes it is....haven't you been paying attention to the posts in this thread? :huh::lol::D:D:D:D

Yes it is....haven't you been paying attention to the posts in this thread? :huh:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Ummm, imagine that, not paying attention to your posts??? :D

Strange, isn't it? :D But it wasn't my posts that were all saying it was....I'm the only one with any real, technical proof that it isn't.....but, I'm sure my book was wrong, so I bowed out of the argument..... :lol:

14843_5900.jpg

Poison-oak generally grows in acid soils, and is not limited to any

particular soil texture or drainage pattern. It occurs on well-drained

slopes and in riparian zones.

Poison-oak is a somewhat shade-tolerant species commonly occurring in

seral woodland and mixed evergreen forest understories.

The bright green leaves have three round to ovate, diversely lobed or toothed leaflets that usually resemble oak leaves.

The photos show shiney green leaves but as those of us who raise it know it goes reddish yellow and at this time of year my crop has no leaves.

I'd think by now you would have erected a greenhouse for it. A little moist warm air, some occasional fertilizer, and of course, spend some time talking to it to help it grow. :blink:

The photos show shiney green leaves but as those of us who raise it know it goes reddish yellow and at this time of year my crop has no leaves.

Judging by the green growth of the weeds in the picture and a few tiny seedlings, as well as the new growth of the suspect plant, it is possible Travisl's picture was taken one of the last two springs since the cache was placed and not this winter.