Decrypting Waypoint Codes

pd417

Have a quick question. Being new to geocaching and personal GPS's I decided to try to find a local cache, but before I did I obvouusly needed the coordinates. I saw that each cache has a six digit alphanumeric location code associated with it. I realize it corresponds to the lat/long., but how do you decrypt it? I have EasyGPS and can easily download the coordinates directly into my GPS (Meridian Magellan Platinum), but I'd like to know how to do it manually if needed.

Thanks....

Have a quick question. Being new to geocaching and personal GPS's I decided to try to find a local cache, but before I did I obvouusly needed the coordinates. I saw that each cache has a six digit alphanumeric location code associated with it. I realize it corresponds to the lat/long., but how do you decrypt it? I have EasyGPS and can easily download the coordinates directly into my GPS (Meridian Magellan Platinum), but I'd like to know how to do it manually if needed.

Thanks....

That waypoint name has nothing to do with the coordinates. It's just a unique identifier.

Being new to geocaching and personal GPS's I decided to try to find a local cache, but before I did I obvouusly needed the coordinates.  I saw that each cache has a six digit alphanumeric location code associated with it.  I realize it corresponds to the lat/long., but how do you decrypt it?  I have EasyGPS and can easily download the coordinates directly into my GPS (Meridian Magellan Platinum), but I'd like to know how to do it manually if needed.

Newbie here.

Along these same lines, I have noticed that some geocachers use this type of coordinates:

32 18' 56"

110 49' 00"

I know the 18' relates to minutes and the 56" to seconds, but being a true flat lander and new to the GPS I don't understand how this relates to the 'seconds' on my GPS which show as such:

32 18.817

110 48.120

My first guess would be to divide 56 by 60 (seconds). Am I close?

Brenda M. ;)

On that same note, I pulled up a couple local caches in my area and attempted to enter them manually into EasyGPS. Are the coordinates of the cache right below the cache name or is that the cache owners location? If so, (and maybe I'm doing it wrong), the couple I entered always come back to the same place.

Thanks Again....

On that same note, I pulled up a couple local caches in my area and attempted to enter them manually into EasyGPS. Are the coordinates of the cache right below the cache name or is that the cache owners location? If so, (and maybe I'm doing it wrong), the couple I entered always come back to the same place.

Yes, the cache coordinates are the ones listed directly under the name of the cache. Good Luck!

Thanks Again....

They are the cache's coordinates, but you need to read the cache page carefully. Sometimes these coordinates don't actually point to a cache. You may have to take additional actions to get to the cache.

They are the cache's coordinates, but you need to read the cache page carefully. Sometimes these coordinates don't actually point to a cache. You may have to take additional actions to get to the cache.

Hmmm..interesting. Not only do these two locations not point to the cache, but they are about 25 miles off target. I must be doing something wrong when entering the coordinates.

The one I was looking at was at:

Having done a little more reading and research in coordinate conversion, I failed to realize that the coordinates given on the cache page are in Minute-Decimal format. By using the conversion calculator on Jeeep.com, I converted to

Degree-Decimal which then gave me the correct location.

Correct?

Thanks....

Edited by pd417
The one I was looking at was at:

Having done a little more reading and research in coordinate conversion, I failed to realize that the coordinates given on the cache page are in Minute-Decimal format. By using the conversion calculator on Jeeep.com, I converted to

Degree-Decimal which then gave me the correct location.

Correct?

Thanks....

OK PD, by looking at the cache page this seems to be a fairly straightforward cache. My GPS is set to Degrees Minutes.minutes and that is what the cache pages use. If your GPS is set to another you might want to change it through set up. You can also change EasyGPS do display the same coordiantes through file/preferences/coordinates. The all three will agree and show the same type of coordiantes.

After that it is easy. If you have any other questions please send me an email or post and someone will probably help out.

Also, this will stop you having to go to Jeeep.com, an extra step that may not be necessary.

Edited by PSUPAUL
Good point, learned something new.

Many Thanks...

Don't mention it. Glad to help! I know I was confused by Easygps in the beginning, Geocaching and my GPS used the same but it looked different in EasyGps. Once I set the coordinate display and they all agreed it was much easier.

Now go out and cache!!! Of course we are getting snow and freezing rain so I won't be doing any for a little while! I hope to bag some on Sunday.

I won't rub it in and tell you what our weather is like here in Southern Calif, except we seem to have that big orange star out alot during the day....

Yeah, but we don't have Earthquakes!

I actually love winter. Nothing better than snow, it just isn't realy conducive to finding caches hid under a rock! I also don't like freezing rain.

Have fun!