Is my GPS off or am I?

Stumblefoot

I am very new to this (started two days ago). I missed my first one, but found it the next day after I adjusted my datum. Yesterday I found one but missed the other after looking for over an hour. My GPS (Magellon 315) said I was there at serveral different places. Is it typical to have to look around for the cache? How far should I look?

Yes a margin of error is normal for your GPS and the you have to add in the margin of error for the person that placed it. I usallay start looking when my GPS says I am within 15ft. Once I find the cache I am usally within 2 - 6ft of it. So if you figure my 2 - 6ft error and thier 2 - 6ft error you can see what kind of an area you need to look in. This is just me but I know once I get within my range I start looking at the terrian and can usally spot good loc's for a cache. To answer your question yes you will have a margin of error.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

It took me about 20-25 caching trips until I started to be able to 'zero in' better on the hiding spot. Having become more comfortable and capable with the GPS, I've also developed a better nose for hiding spots (aka 7th sense: cache sense).

I still get skunked sometimes, but luckily my caching partner has been getting better and finding some himself recently - usually he just follows my trail of dust....

quote:
Originally posted by Stumblefoot:

My GPS (Magellon 315) said I was there at serveral different places. Is it typical to have to look around for the cache? How far should I look?

I also use a 315 as well as a etrek, I have found if when you get close and it starts this dance, turn it off and re-start it ~~ it will usually lock on (like already mentioned there is the error factor X 2)

Mzee ~~~ "And now where"

Magellan 315 has an EPE (estimated position error) which tells you how inaccurate the coords that it is displaying could be. But EPE is only avaliable in the main nav screen and it only works while you are moving, when its not moving it starts averaging and doesn't display the EPE. Try going to where the coords say is correct, stop and wait a minute to make sure that its not going to float (move slightly as it gets stronger/weaker signals) looking at the main nav screen start walking untill it stops averaging and shows the EPE, then you will have an idea of how far you could be from the stated coords.

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.