2 Newbie Questions

Semper Questio

My brother in-law has a sporTrac, it seems to work just as well as my Platinium. He regrets not getting at least the Gold due to the memory limit. (The SporTrac is fixed at 64M?, the Gold and Plat use SD cards.) Did you mean MapSend? If so I have the Topo version and like it. Having never used this type of software I don't have anything to compare it with. I can say it was pretty easy to use once I actually read the help files. :D

Read the thread “Sportrak Map Stress Cracks.” http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62683

Then think about this….

Difference between Magellan SporTrak and Meridian GPS receivers?

The SporTrak and Meridian series are very similar in function. The SporTrak units replaced the M300/M320/M330 series, providing a non-mapping base unit and the others are mapping units like the Meridian. The SporTrak are smaller in overall size, with a smaller screen that is slightly brighter. The main difference between the two units, however, is that the SporTrak has no SD card support, which means they are limited to internal memory for storing detailed maps. With a SporTrak, only one detailed map can be uploaded at a time, and it is not possible to save waypoint or track files to an SD card. With a Meridian, you can upload multiple map files to the SD card and change between the files on the unit (handy if you’re going on a long driving vacation and you don’t have a laptop along to reload your GPS. With the Meridian, you can also save waypoint and track files to an SD card. Note - An SD card is usually purchased separately, although some units may include the card as part of a software/hardware bundle.

*information taken for Magellan Meridian FAQVersion 2.0 – 10/31/2003

I have the SporTrak Map and really like it. I like the controls and that it will give me the name of the cache, not just the GC number.

I've only had this for about 2 months, so with time I might find some dislikes, but working great for me now. I did get this strictly to geocache, and it's a great fit.

If I was going to buy again, I would probably get the same unit. I might spring for the Meridian because of the expandable memory, but probably not. I've used a friend's Meridian and it just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand. I think it's the shape.

F_M

But for searching for caches, I use the USPS web site. You can look up all ZIP codes for any US city. Then you can use those ZIP codes to search the gc.com site.

Imajika pointed this out to me on one of my first posts. This is the best piece of information anyone has EVER given me on the forums. It's all been useful, but I use this piece almost every day.

F_M

I know you can find caches by zip code or state on the web site, but is there a way to search for those in a particular city or county?

No can do for the county (other than looking at a cache map and county borders). But for cities and towns with population greater than 20,000, in the United States you can search for caches there by going to your home state's page (accessed from the list at the top right of the main gc.com page). Here is a link to the Texas Page. Then just use the dropdown list of cities at the top left.