Fugawi Canada Topo Maps?

Hard Oiler

The big difference is that it is supposed to have a seamless map integration, allowing you to scroll over large areas without re-loading maps.

SoftMap already allows this. I'm looking forward to hearing comments from someone who actually has them too. Certainly a cheaper option but only on DVD - I may have to upgrade my PC <_<

I'm mostly curious about the quality of the scans. I have SoftMap and they're a little lower quality (colour and sharpness) then Etopo or SDI maps. Fuagwi and SoftMap are linked somehow (at least with SoftMaps GPS Option which is authored by Fugawi) and I'm thinking that these new maps from Fugawi might just be repackaged SoftMap seamless maps.

SoftMap already allows this. I'm looking forward to hearing comments from someone who actually has them too. Certainly a cheaper option but only on DVD - I may have to upgrade my PC <_<

I'm mostly curious about the quality of the scans. I have SoftMap and they're a little lower quality (colour and sharpness) then Etopo or SDI maps. Fuagwi and SoftMap are linked somehow (at least with SoftMaps GPS Option which is authored by Fugawi) and I'm thinking that these new maps from Fugawi might just be repackaged SoftMap seamless maps.

I've had the Fugawi (old version) and Softmap Ontario maps loaded on my PC for some time now and accessing them with Fugawi's software. The Fugawi maps are obviously scanned at a higher resolution than Softmaps but not enough to worry about at least for my purposes. The full funtionality of the software is not accessible however when viewing and working with SM maps.

That's a good point PDOP's re the possibility of re-packaging. I'd hate to spend the money for a DVD drive and the disc-set just to find out that this is what they have done. I think I'll wait for further info before taking the plunge.

Cheers, Olar

Well, I got the Alberta DVD today. I don't have the Fugawi program, so am just viewing with the simple free viewing software they provide.

The files are stored with a .FX4 suffix. I assume is is proprietary, so I also assume nothing else will open them. The 1:50000 is covered in three files around 1.5 GB in size each.

They look like the same scans as in the past except seamless.

I can doa screanshot for PDOP. Just let me know what is the preferred size and where to send it...

OK, I screenshot a sample. I used the same area as on PDOP's sample page for Etopo. Image croppes from screen shot view using the map viewing software zoomed at 100%

Fugawi Sample

fugsample.jpg

PDOP's Etopos Sample

etoposample.jpg

It is a little bigger because of the 160 dpi versus 150 dpi. The colours appear to be exactly as per the paper maps, so map boundaries between older and newer style maps are quite distinct. Etopos says they correct this.

Thanks Red90. If I didn't already have the money invested in SoftMap covearge of Alberta I'd probably buy them.

FYI you should look around the Radio Shacks in your area. They were clearing out their Fugawi software a couple of years back and there may still be some heavily discounted (<$50) boxes sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Edited by PDOP's
FYI you should look around the Radio Shacks in your area. They were clearing out their Fugawi software a couple of years back and there may still be some heavily discounted (<$50) boxes sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Not around here - I checked. Fellow said he hadn't seen Fugawi in a long time.

Did you know Fugawi has Bruce Trail maps? Bruce Trail Maps on Fugawi

They're a bit out of date though according to the "map guy" I talk to at Raspberry House today.

The new Bruce Trail maps are out by the way! Edition 23.