Pda Vs Gps Unit

AmishHacker

I used a Palm Vx and Magellan GPS Companion for a couple of years. The sad truth is that the software that comes with it sucks horribly, and the third-party software, while better, is still missing a lot of features you can get on even the most basic standalone consumer GPS receiver. You can get most of the functionality you want by combining a handful of different programs, but it doesn't match the ease-of-use you'll get from a standalone unit. The only thing the Palm gets you that the standalone GPS doesn't is paperless cache descriptions, and I don't think they're worth the tradeoff. (I carry the Palm and the GPS receiver, now. The Palm stays in my pocket while I'm on the trail, which makes it a lot less likely to get dropped or whacked by a rock.)

I would recommend buying the standalone GPS receiver unless you have some other reason for wanting the Palm. If you'll only ever use it for geocaching, do yourself a favor and get a dedicated GPSr instead.

I can get a Palm III for $10 and a few more for the GPS...is it worth it.....or a Palm V for $50-60.

Do they work as good

They'll work fine for paperless caching. A combo PDA/GPS is big bucks. I think you'll be better off buying separate units. A pointed out, no PDA or PDA/GPS is a rugged as a GPS. Second, any combo unit is considerably larger then a PDA which could make it bulky for other things.

Don't get me wrong, a combo unit would be a cool toy to have, but I'd rather spend my meager funds somewhere else.