(south) North West

Looking at Saturday Feb 7th for the next event cache in the area... Seasider's going to scout out a couple of pubs tomorrow (the sacrifices he makes for us... we hear he doesn't like ale!) so venue will be announced later... rest assured there will be a new cache or three made available in the proceeding week.

Hope to see you there!

Edited by NattyBooshka
Has Seasider reported back yet or is he missing in action :DB) . Will try to pop along if my hectic social diary has a space B)

Full report just sent to NattyBooshka!! B)

I'm off down south again tomorrow on my Second Southern Cache Tour so no doubt NattyBooshka will have made a decision on venue by the time I return.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers!

Seasider

Hope everyone enjoys the venue - if you have done either of the two nearby caches then you have probably driven past the pub or used its car park.

Pub is a big 'un, caters for everybody (has large seperate no smoking area).... and.... for gadget fans.... it's a wi-fi hotspot!! :D:unsure: I might bring my laptop so we can log our cache finds there and then!! :blink:

Holcombe Brook is served by very regular buses (they stop right outside the pub) from Bury which then link into the GMPTE Metro & Rail network - so it's a doddle getting to and from if you want to have a drink and/or leave the car at home for the day.

Since my southern tour is postponed for a week I'll be heading that way mid week and will add to a certain cache series to temp you to use the public transport system!

Cheers!

Seasider

cool - hopefully I can get my axim to work there......is it a bt openzone hotspot (which i think may still be free on that date?)

Incidentally, isn't a laptop a bit heavy to carry when geocaching?

Wish it was! It's provided by The Cloud and is £6 an hour. :blink:

I don't carry a laptop when actually looking for a cache - just a GPS and a couple of sheet of paper!! :D

I take it on my longer cache tours but it ain't used until I'm at the hotel. I use it for uploading logs if wi-fi is available (or may use the GPRS network if t-mobile is having a good day) and also for analysing the next day's caches\route\terrain\best parking spots on Memory Map etc (I tend to do 18+ caches each day on a tour). MM is a great tool to have to hand on a cache tour. Plus I can keep up to date & do work for my other interests while I'm on the road and even cut DVDs of all the stuff we've downloaded off kazaa in the previous week or two! :D :D

I do use my PDA to access the internet (GPRS) as well but I'm not a great fan of small screens :unsure: so it'll be the laptop which has the better chance of appearing at the pub ...except .... someone is bound to drop beer on it so on second thoughts ... we'll use your Axim!! :D:D

Look forward to meeting you there! :D

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

you should have gone (or go) this week seasider - bt are doing a free promotion of their wifi for a week at their hotspots (which include the cloud). i used it at the hotel in London on Monday night - very nice! The previous nights hotel was £12 for 24 hours which was much better value than £6 for an hour :lol:

Anyone got a spare gps they can bring as mines broke and i'm not sure it will be back from repair (if I have to send it away)

The previous nights hotel was £12 for 24 hours which was much better value than £6 for an hour :lol:

The venues only have two rates - either you can buy by the hour or 24hours!

So it's £6ph or £15pd - (£12 for 24 hours seems a bargain)!

I stayed at a wi-fi hotel last week but they don't seem to be marketing it well or have thought it out properly - you could only use it in the bar or reception!!

Well, after a shower I couldn't be bothered getting dressed again so didn't bother with it. If they sort things like that out then it will really take off.

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

i'm coming and i'm going to be even happier as my gps is back from repair. Are people meeting up and then going caching and meeting back up again or what? It'll be my first cache event so not sure how it all goes. I'm waiting for my gpx query to come through tomorrow with a list of all the local queries including those new ones that seasider said he'd plant.....

i'm coming and i'm going to be even happier as my gps is back from repair. Are people meeting up and then going caching and meeting back up again or what? It'll be my first cache event so not sure how it all goes. I'm waiting for my gpx query to come through tomorrow with a list of all the local queries including those new ones that seasider said he'd plant.....

I'm going to be caching after the event finishes so if you want to bag a few caches with me after the event you'll certainly be welcome.

I'm waiting for my gpx query to come through tomorrow with a list of all the local queries including those new ones that seasider said he'd plant.....

:ph34r: I knew there was something I had forgotten!! :ph34r:

Seasider (down south near Dover!)

Edited by Seasider

See you all tomorrow!

Just spoke to Seasider who is currently caching with the Hornet. Seasider is on 796 caches at present and gooing for one more before his return up North. We are on 97.

So, a change of plan for us... we'll be picking up another 2 finds on the way, as will Seasider and so we sould have a double celebration as it'll be our 100th and Seasiders 800th!

Your caching afterwards Sparticus? Isn't it going to be dark and boozy by then?

Oh yes. It'll most certainly be dark, sometimes thats the best time to go caching. Except if you've forgotten to bring a torch. I'll be doing some caching with Adrian before arriving at the pub, maybe we'll bump into each other on the nearest caches.

Who Knows? Dom he knows!! :D

See ya all there :D:lol::P:rolleyes: