Advice For First Gps

egerton

Hi, I’m interested in getting into Geocaching (I haven’t tried it yet but I have a few friends that are in to it and it sounds great) so I’m shopping for a GPS handheld. I would like some advice from the “experts”.

How important is mapping capability? It seems the entry level units (etrex yellow, Geko) don’t offer maps but are they needed?

After a little shopping around I found what seems like a fairly decent deal on Amazon for the Magellan Sportak $119 (AR) and the Sportrak Map $147 (AR). Does anyone have any advice on either of these units? And any input on if the extra $28 is worth it for the “map”?

TIA

- gareth

I am not an expert.

You really need to first decide all the things you want to do with the GPS: geocaching, hiking, boating, etc. This will help determine the features you want.

i.e. for hiking you may want topo maps, for driving - street maps, for only geocaching - no maps at all.

Regardless, make sure you get a data cable from the GPS to your PC.

You may decide not to use it to enter the coordinates of the first caache you find, but by number 20 (and a couple of typos sending you all over) you'll have to have it.

You might do as I did when I was new, and search the existing "Getting Started" threads here for opinions on GPS receivers. There are also links to unbiased studies as well as biased reports.

I am also new, but in the past weak I have found the mapping helpful with some of the areas around Houston. Some of the caches have parking lots close by, and the maps were helpful getting close in the car for the caches in and around subdivisions. JMO. This is what I have noticed in just the first 2 weeks of owning a GPSr. Notice I said helpful, not necessary :rolleyes:

Hi, I’m interested in getting into Geocaching (I haven’t tried it yet but I have a few friends that are in to it and it sounds great) so I’m shopping for a GPS handheld. I would like some advice from the “experts”.

How important is mapping capability? It seems the entry level units (etrex yellow, Geko) don’t offer maps but are they needed?

After a little shopping around I found what seems like a fairly decent deal on Amazon for the Magellan Sportak $119 (AR) and the Sportrak Map $147 (AR). Does anyone have any advice on either of these units? And any input on if the extra $28 is worth it for the “map”?

TIA

- gareth

Go for the Magellan SporTrak Map. Its a great unit and it has a $30 Dollar rebate if you buy before 2 Feb 04. I've got one and I'm very happy with it.

thanks for all the advice - i purchased a Sportrak Map and we're planning a quickie hunt this evening (work & weather permitting) :D

i played around last night but there are still many buttons and screens to learn. i was also hoping the maps would be more detailed but i guess that's $$$ for mapsend.

thanks