Upgraded Membership

You folks should really look into PayPal. Mailing a check is SO 2003. :D

PayPal... oh, yeah, those folks that let someone else open up an account with my name on it! And that loser made a payment on a loan he was months overdue in repaying via PayPal, so that if I wanted my money, I HAD to set a password and give personal info to retrieve it. Fast forward a couple of years. Now I'm selling items for a non-profit organization via eBay as a fundraiser. To be an effective seller, you need to take electronic payments. I try to find out my PayPal account info to accept such payments, but it's been a long time. Password I tried won't work, and I spent over a month going back and forth with PayPal explaining that I apparently did not have the correct password, that their online password retrieval function generated an error stating that I must call in for assistance, that I couldn't simply open a new account (no double accts with some info the same), and couldn't close the old one to start over (since you must log in to do that). Sat on phone, long-distance on hold over half and hour on at least 2 occasions and never got to speak to anyone. Sent e-mail. Got helpful suggestion that I use online password retrieval. Pointed out the part of e-mail quoting their error saying that online retrieval failed for my account and that I must call in. Got other suggestions asking me to do the very things I'd already tried and explained how they failed. Finally sent an actual paper letter with full explanation requesting password be mailed to my home address on file or account closed. Got (eventual) response telling me to use online password retrieval, and that I was the only one who could close my account... just log in.... Started an equally difficult campaign to get them to close the account for me and remove my personal info so that my financial info was no longer hanging out there. Used eBay Billpoint.

All was fine until eBay and PayPal crawled into bed together and Billpoint was eliminated. Expressed my concerns throughout the process. Finally, Billpoint was no more. For the benefit of the non-profit from which I was selling, I tried again with PayPal. Even though I was assured my account had been closed, I could not open a new account with my current e-mail address... said I already had an account, and no duplicates allowed. Contacted eBay, more successfully by phone this time, but was basically told they wouldn't allow me to open a new account because some of my info was the same (physical address), and that info had been blocked from being used in the system when they closed my original account. Suggested I might try to log on under the old account... I thought it was closed? Oh, yeah, wouldn't work....

End result? I finished selling the stuff via check/MO payments and said I couldn't do any more. And decided I was better off without PayPal having any of my correct financial info because they were clearly not logical nor entirely ethical. Wouldn't give this to them again. I think hubby may have a PayPal account, but it's been unused for a long time... and if I could, I'd close it too. Just hope the card it's tied to is one I got rid of....