Travel Bugs For Micro Caches

yuppers

There is an easier solution - don't put TBs into micro caches or change the cache into a bigger box :huh:

Micro caches such as 35 mm film canister can be good, but they must have a reason for being there. I have noticed sometimes that people spread film canisters in places where you could easily been hiding a full size Chevrolet...

I was thinking of GC.com having smaller tags that we could buy just like the ones that are available now. After seeing some of the posts about missing travel bugs, these would probably get lost more often. It was just a thought because of the numerous micro caches out there. I enjoy my travel bugs, but am learning that a person really needs patience. :(

There is an easier solution - don't put TBs into micro caches or change the cache into a bigger box :(

Micro caches such as 35 mm film canister can be good, but they must have a reason for being there. I have noticed sometimes that people spread film canisters in places where you could easily been hiding a full size Chevrolet...

yea I think micros should only be used for the first part of a multi then the final a normal cache. Why have a traditional cache a micro when it can be a normal size cache?

yea I think micros should only be used for the first part of a multi then the final a normal cache. Why have a traditional cache a micro when it can be a normal size cache?

Caller to Dr. Ruth: "You can't tell me that a Volkswagen is better than a Cadillac"

Dr. Ruth: "There are places you can park a Volkswagen."

Translation: Many times it cannot be a normal sized cache. Just as many times it can't even be a micro.

If you want a TB that will fit in a micro and you don't want to make your own once you have your own TB number, then find a good small keychain, add a TB tag and a laminated goal tag cut into the size of a TB tag (you can fit a lot of arial narrow text in 1"*1.5"). This should fit decently in an altoids can and definately in a decon container. For even smaller, replace the keychain with a loose rivit. The result will fit in places most TBs can't even dream of.

The problems will be;

1. People do not expect a travel bug inside a micro.

2. Many cachers do not hunt for micro caches because they hate them.

3. Often are a 35 mm film canister so small, so if you want to have a logbook and

pencil inside, that will be the only thing inside. If you want to squeeze in a travel

bug also, then must you most probably reduce the size of the logbook

And personally do I prefer the opportunity to log - instead of a small logbook

due to the cache had a travel bug from the beginning.

4. There is a variety of non-official travellers... I saw at an event a car (a Fiat

Multipla (one of the ugliest cars on the planet Earth)) that were a cache inside an

another cache. here is a link to it: GC24F0

And it got lost because you couldn't see it was a traveller, and of course it wasn't

a traditional travel bug either...

5. You can always if you have a lot of tools nearby, cut the edges of a TB tag. I am

looking right now at one, and you could always make it shorter, and drill a new

hole in it?

Look at this pic:355138_300.jpg

It is from this travel bug...

Personally I can't understand why people make a beer bottle as a travel bug, it is way to big!

And what are happening to this travel bug, it is placed next to the cache and that means that a big red beer bottle are getting the cache more attention, that might be making evil persons destroying a cache they otherwise wouldn't find...

The same can happen if people are putting regular sized travel bugs next to micro caches..

;)

I'm not selling them but I am having a few made for myself. I opted for the glow in the dark plastic instead of the metal bodies due to cost. Here's the graphics that will be on the outside.

bugout.jpg

The geocaching URL is on one side and the bug logo is on the other.

bugout2.jpg (closer to actual size) B)

The place that makes them is http://www.escopes.com/. They can be a little tough to get a hold of though.

Since I've already paid for the graphics for the outside, you should be able to have some made with graphics also for the cost of the bodies and the microfilm inside. Shoot them an email to find out cost per micro. You'll still need a travel bug dog tag # though and an image file for the micro mission.

I just put together this word document to help me generate the files for my micros. I'm not sure if it will work for you but you are welcome to it.

Just a reminder, this is all cool if you are just doing them for yourself but because these use the geocaching logos, unless the owners of the board / logos agree, you cannot sell them. See the terms of use page if you have questions.

I am really happy with the prototypes and hope the plastic ones are as cool. I'll post pics once I get the plastic ones back.

I have a Micro TB... Micro Plankton . I just scanned the tag, printed it out and laminated it. (I put some instructions on the other side) It has the same look but bendable so it will fit into a 35mm can just fine. Also if it gets lost not a problem... just print out another one. :D

Edited by CWL