Microsoft Streets And Trips 2003

njload

I am using MS streets and trips 2003 for real-time navigation on my laptop. I am trying to use the search feature and search by latitude and longitude but end up in the ocean or some other strange place other than what I am looking for when I type in the coordinates. example I type in 39.52569N And -74.30481W and end up in the Bay. MS claims it is using WGS84 and this Is the Datum I am using in my GPS. What I am trying to accomplish is putting push-pins on MS so I can view the caches I want to drive to. I also have Mapsend Topo but I like the streets better in MS.

Any help is appreciated.

NJLOAD

Remember that the coordinates 12 34.567 on a cache page are not going to point to the same place as a coord that looks like 12.34567 they are totally different formats, as such they are two completely different place so you have to convert one format to the other.. or vice versa..

There is a good site that explains it is Markwell's Geocaching FAQ. Scroll down to the part about converting coords. There are lots of great progeams that can do it for you, but in a pinch it's always best to know how to do it yourself. That Geocalc program is super simple, I use it myself.

To enter Coordinates in geocalc enter them as you see them on the cache page (copy and paste). Then press Go. Or enter them like N 43 13.015 W 077 45.192 (for example). Then copy and paste the ones that are in decimal format (ddd.dddd) to use in S&T. If you are entering the decimal formated coords make sure you enter the minus before the west portion ie 43.216917,-77.753200 you shouldnt need to put N/W.

If you want to do convert a bunch at once, the easiest thing to do is (imho).. Get a .loc file of all the caches in your area. Then open it up in GeoBuddy a free program after its open click save as.. then in the drop down menu for formats select "Streets and Trips CSV" and then save it. Then in S&T go to import data wizard and open the file.. You have to click a few more things, and viola! All the caches are loaded on your S&T. You can click them and see the names... That is the simplest way I know.. I am sure there are other fancier ways ;)

Edited by OurWoods

robertlipe: I downloaded GPSBabel, and its a nice program to add to the toolbox. Could you give a detailed description on how you convert your GPX files into MS Streets and Trips? I have done it with success but without the ability to hyperlink to the web page. A detailed example of how you do it would be appreciated. I have done it with success but there are a lot of variables in the different file types in the save as drop down list, maybe I am doing something wrong there.

Thanks

NJLOAD

Greetings njload.

If you have imported the data successfully and created the pushpin set then the hyperlink may be there and you cannot see it.

Double click on the pushpin set which will open the properties window. Under the h-link tab make sure that "use hyperlinks from your imported data" is checkmarked. It should default to F3. Then under the balloon tab checkmark the corresponding field (F3). Now when you doubleclick a waypoint/cache it will show link in info balloon.

A shortcut that should work with 2003 is to hold down the 'Ctrl' on your keyboard while left clicking on a waypoint/cache pushpin. This will open the cache page directly.

Cheers, Olar

robertlipe: I downloaded GPSBabel, and its a nice program to add to the toolbox.  Could you give a detailed description on how you convert your GPX files into MS Streets and Trips?

I do it with highly automated tools (my mail program senses that a pocket query has arrived which hands it off to tools that merge it into my data set...) that ultimately does a

gpsbabel -i gpx -f whatever.gpx -o s_and_t -F whatever.txt

I have done it with success but without the ability to hyperlink to the web page. A detailed example of how you do it would be appreciated. I have done it with success but there are a lot of variables in the different file types in the save as drop down list, maybe I am doing something wrong there.

The key to get the URL in the text is to use the "s_and_t" format (Microsoft Streets and Trips) and then to follow my canned instructions for importing to S&T which really has no GPSBabel-specific voodoo; it just explains the insanely silly way you have to do it in S&T to get the linky links to work. Steps 5 and 7 (they aren't numbered; you'll have to count) are the key.

NJload,

One other thing. The 2003 version of Streets and Trips was heavily error ridden and so much so that MSFT had posted on its website what to do if you wanted a refund which I did. Apparently they contracted with a new company, whom they did not tell me, to use their data. As a result, the data had many flaws in it and BAM, bad maps. 2004 does have it all corrected and from what I understand they want back to their original supplier of mapping data.

Note that S&T seems to have a problem with the extra period in the file name created by the drag and drop icon.  Delete the extra period and everything works fine.

Windows and its application base can be so retarded...

If you're on NT or one of it's spray painted mutations like Windows 2000 or XP, try replacing the -F %1.csv part of that batch file with -F %~n1.csv and see how that goes.

I don't have such a system within reach and I'm making this up based on googling ("I read it on the internet, it must be true") so I'm not confident in this change, but it's easy to try and looks like it should work. Report success or failure to me and I'll update that web page.

Note that S&T seems to have a problem with the extra period in the file name created by the drag and drop icon.  Delete the extra period and everything works fine.

Windows and its application base can be so retarded...

If you're on NT or one of it's spray painted mutations like Windows 2000 or XP, try replacing the -F %1.csv part of that batch file with -F %~n1.csv and see how that goes.

I don't have such a system within reach and I'm making this up based on googling ("I read it on the internet, it must be true") so I'm not confident in this change, but it's easy to try and looks like it should work. Report success or failure to me and I'll update that web page.

No joy :huh: This creates a file named "~n1.csv"