Off Topic Posts

I will try to search out some of the prior topics upon your suggestion. But your "Readers Digest" version was read.

I probably wouldn't say "it ain't goin' happen" though. If enough premium members request one social forum and a member voluntered to moderate it, it should not be an issue. But I am speaking again without researching all the logs that have been posted before. I better get to it.

Thanks!

Oh, boy.....you're in for an awful lot of reading to come up with the same answer as the "Reader's Digest" condensed version which states, "No, it ain't gonna happen." Believe us when we say that a lot of people have already asked and some have volunteered to moderate it, yet the answer for an off-topic section in these forums is still a resounding, "NO!!!"

Have fun reading, anyway.

Seriously though, I think some people (not necessarily the mods, but the readers who complain to them) are too thin skinned.  Poor poor sensibilities get so damaged by the occasional "dadgum" or "fudge off".  They should try listening to teenagers talk, it'll curl your hair.

I think its just one of the problems when you cater to the lowest common denominator.

Gorak

Geo 8 105

I think the warning system and suspensions of privilege have been used to raise the lowest common denominator.

Seriously though, I think some people (not necessarily the mods, but the readers who complain to them) are too thin skinned.  Poor poor sensibilities get so damaged by the occasional "dadgum" or "fudge off".  They should try listening to teenagers talk, it'll curl your hair.

I think its just one of the problems when you cater to the lowest common denominator.

Gorak

Geo 8 105

I think the warning system and suspensions of privilege have been used to raise the lowest common denominator.

Since the warning system is subjective, there is no common denominator

snip....If enough premium members request one social forum and a member voluntered to moderate it, it should not be an issue...snip

This guy is gonna fit right in. Welcome!

I would be happy to be the odd man out, not the first time. Won't be the last.

Do smurf even wear pants? Come to think of it I do not remember a Saxy smurf. There was Doc, Sneazy, Pluto, Crackhead, Blitzen and Shifty. Nope, no Saxy. Unless that blonde one was in drag. Hmmmmmm.

snip....If enough premium members request one social forum and a member voluntered to moderate it, it should not be an issue...snip

I would be happy to be the odd man out, not the first time. Won't be the last.

Do smurf even wear pants? Come to think of it I do not remember a Saxy smurf. There was Doc, Sneazy, Pluto, Crackhead, Blitzen and Shifty. Nope, no Saxy. Unless that blonde one was in drag. Hmmmmmm.

You've found out my secret!shocked.gif

Is this a good thing??? :huh:

Well I am pretty lazy, definately on Sunday mornings, but I found this thread that seemed popular: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...56787&hl=social

I don't want to be too radical since I have been visiting this site for less than two months. I just know that I liked reading the social boards on other sites. I know geocachers would have some extremely funny thoughts on life and the world around them that I would enjoy to read.

I do know though that if you always take "NO!" as your answer you sometimes miss out on some good things. IMO.

Have a great day!

I count about six off-topic posts out of the past ten.  It sounds strange to say this, but please stick to the topic of off-topic posts.  :)

I thought as soon as I posted here I would attract an admin LOL. As there is no topic other then "Off Topic" which is anything considering no topic was defined to be off topic from. We have no base to judge from so where is the line? :)

Edited by ChrisCindy

"Attract?" Don't flatter yourself. :) Welcome back, actually. :)

Posts discussing whether to have an off-topic forum, or what is on topic vs. off-topic, how much of it to allow within a thread, etc., are all on-topic.

I am not sure precisely what is off-topic in a topic about being off-topic, but I know it when I see it. And a discussion of whether smurfs wear pants is off-topic.

I hope that clarifies everything.

"Attract?" Don't flatter yourself.  :)  Welcome back, actually.  :rolleyes:

Posts discussing whether to have an off-topic forum, or what is on topic vs. off-topic, how much of it to allow within a thread, etc., are all on-topic.

I am not sure precisely what is off-topic in a topic about being off-topic, but I know it when I see it.  And a discussion of whether smurfs wear pants is off-topic.

I hope that clarifies everything.

"Attract?" Don't flatter yourself.  :)  Welcome back, actually.  :rolleyes:

Thank you for the welcome back (mumbles about being railroaded by overzealous....)

I am not sure precisely what is off-topic in a topic about being off-topic, but I know it when I see it.  And a discussion of whether smurfs wear pants is off-topic.

Ummmm so smurfs are off topic? What about badgers? LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by ChrisCindy

Ummmm so smurfs are off topic? What about badgers? LOL :)

Does this mean I can't post in this thread anymore? :)

I think you are considered off topic now.

Hasn't this horse been beaten to death, turned into Alpo, eaten by the father of Saxman's future dog, furtilized the neighbors flower bed, and will be pushing up tulips next spring? (Next spring, when some noob brings it back up again as if it was new.)

The foregone conclusion has been reached. I go elsewhere to have the bulk of my fun now. This is still a great place for information. Keeping the pulse of the sport so to speak. I subscribe to six other geocaching sites with OT forums now.

This is a great site and I can seriously live with what I get from it. Thankful even. :rolleyes:

There's no sense in continuing this here. <where the heck is the deaf ears emoticon?>

I've said it before and I'll say it again. OT posting does not further the cause of geocaching, this forum, or this site. It only serves to keep us sane.

If TPTB granted an OT forum, (don't hold your breath) the post counter should sit idle while posting there. I would post there, but how many others would be interested in forum that wouldn't inflate their numbers?

Strangely, The OT forums on these other sites don't resemble the old west shootouts that are feard to happen here. I don't get it. It's mostly the same people everywhere I go. (The vocal minority.)

At the end of the day, as with ALL things on the internet, I refuse to invest my emotions in a computer screen. (AT LEAST not negative emotions and futility.)

Sn :rolleyes: :rolleyes: gans

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):):rolleyes:

Hasn't this horse been beaten to death, turned into Alpo, eaten by the father of Saxman's future dog, furtilized the neighbors flower bed, and will be pushing up tulips next spring? (Next spring, when some noob brings it back up again as if it was new.)

The foregone conclusion has been reached. I go elsewhere to have the bulk of my fun now. This is still a great place for information. Keeping the pulse of the sport so to speak. I subscribe to six other geocaching sites with OT forums now.

This is a great site and I can seriously live with what I get from it. Thankful even. :rolleyes:

There's no sense in continuing this here. <where the heck is the deaf ears emoticon?>

I've said it before and I'll say it again. OT posting does not further the cause of geocaching, this forum, or this site. It only serves to keep us sane.

If TPTB granted an OT forum, (don't hold your breath) the post counter should sit idle while posting there. I would post there, but how many others would be interested in forum that wouldn't inflate their numbers?

Strangely, The OT forums on these other sites don't resemble the old west shootouts that are feard to happen here. I don't get it. It's mostly the same people everywhere I go. (The vocal minority.)

At the end of the day, as with ALL things on the internet, I refuse to invest my emotions in a computer screen. (AT LEAST not negative emotions and futility.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):):rolleyes:

This doesn't answer my question about badgers being on or off topic in the off topic thread.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :)  :)  :rolleyes:

This doesn't answer my question about badgers being on or off topic in the off topic thread.

Umm, We don't need no stinkin badgers....

Nice...very nice. :rolleyes:

(Why do we need an off topic thread when there are so meny off topic threads?) <---on topic comment

(Why do we need an off topic thread when there are so meny off topic threads?) <---on topic comment

I'll go ya one further. WHAT IF all the admins started subtracting post numbers for every OT post and retroactively as well? It would never happen, but What IF? I'm sure that I would end up with about 500, or less, and I'm really trying to give myself some credit. (No the pod people didn't get me.)

I'll go ya one further. WHAT IF all the admins started subtracting post numbers for every OT post and retroactively as well? It would never happen, but What IF? I'm sure that I would end up with about 500, or less, and I'm really trying to give myself some credit. (No the pod people didn't get me.)

Hmmm...I might lose 30 or 40 posts then. I don't like that idea at all!

Would it involve badgers?

(insert random on topic post here)

Ummm....geocaching

Sereously though, why spend so much time on it. There are a few threads where we can be off topic and if not the go elsewhere. (See sig line for some fine recommendations)

A 30 day ban has changed you...

;) Wow you hit 3000. ;)

I didn't even notice until 10 posts later, too! What is this world coming to...?

Well it's nice to know you had an accomplishment this weekend...Oh yeah...Bob. :lol: