Garmin E Trek

Mixamutt

I'm new to geocashing. I read the manual but am still a little confused. I finally went caching with my GPS, and the only way I found to use it for finding a cache was to keep setting my waypoint to see where I was at.

I've read on some of the cachers post where it sounds like they can enter the co-ordinates and then an arrow keeps pointing them towards it. Are they somehow using the map feature?

When I tried to use the projecting the waypoint feature, I was expecting to enter co-ordinates and it was asking for mileage. I'm very confused! Can anyone help? or should I just keep setting my waypoint. Seems like there must be a better way!

Thanks in advance!

:o

Welcome to Geocaching! To enter a waypoint on the eTrex use the upper button on the right side to change the page to the "Menu" page. You will see "Mark", "Waypoint", "Route", "Tracks", "Setup".... Using the middle button on the left side, scroll down to "Mark". Then press the bottom button on the left side and it will bring up "Mark Waypoint". Press the bottom button on the left side. You will then be able to scroll through the options, and choose which item you wish to change. All of this is on page 20-24 of the eTrex manual.....Just get used to the buttons and what they do. You'll be entering waypoints like a pro in no time...... :o Once a waypoint is entered, go to the "Menu" page and scroll down to "Waypoints", press the bottom button on the left side and scroll through the list to find it, select it, then select "GOTO". it will tell you which direction to travel, your speed, distance from (as the crow flies) waypoint, etc. Just follow the little arrow, but remember to look where your going and don't keep your eyes frozen to the GPSr. People have been known to walk off cliffs doing that very thing. Good Luck! Cache on! :P

Edited by Tiwica

It depends on which e-trex you're using. My legend works this way. After you enter the waypoint into the gps I'm guessing you know how to do that and name the waypoints. You go to the main menu and click on find then click waypoints then click by name. Scroll down until you find the waypoint you entered and click on it. After you do this another screen will come on and you should be highlighted in the bottom left corner where it says goto. Click on that and it will put up the arrow and compass looking screen you're talking about. It also shows your distance to the cache. I hope this helps this is how my legend works.

Tiwica gave a very good method for entering cache coordinates. I did this very same method for nine local caches. I printed out the information, and "named" them C-1, C-2, etc.; creating a new waypoint for each one. Since all the caches were pretty local, I only had to change some of the coodinates.

I'd suggest taking a bit more time to "play" with your new toy. This is what I have been doing: Make my house a waypoint and walking/driving around the neighborhood. Create other waypoints, and then try to navigate back to them, etc. Carry your GPS with you wherever you go for awhile. Get really familiar with it.

Your mileage may vary..... Mike

I would like to thank you all for your replies. I have printed them out, and hopefully will be able to try on New Year's day.

Thank you Team Quill.....

Tiwica, thank you. I actually had those pages highlighted. However, I went back at your suggestion and noticed that I seemed to have missed page 21, which talke about position co-ordinates and edit location! Bingo!

Mike, I know you are right about needing to just play with my GPS more. Your are definitely right. Absolutely. You are right in so many ways. One hundred percent right.

However, the problem is...since I bought my GPS a few days before Christmas, I seemed to have developed a slight geocaching addiction. I can't seem to stay away. Caches are everywhere! They are calling to me...Karen, I'm here, Karen.

Maybe if the cold weather comes...we are having an unseasonably warm winter in Chicago. Of coarse, the rain and mud isn't stopping me....(the poor dogs who go with me have been getting baths every night).

Hi, my name is Karen and I'm a cachaholic. Is there a support group out there for this, aheem, slight problem I am having?

And if I learn to use my GPS properly, will it only get worse?

Have a great New Year's, all! ;)

Hi, my name is Karen and I'm a cachaholic. Is there a support group out there for this, aheem, slight problem I am having?

This is the support group!

Whenever I need to enter a way-point in my Etrex I just press and hold down the 'click stick' until the way-point screen appears and the just cursor over to the long/lat box, click it and edit the way-point info.

This is the support group!

Whenever I need to enter a way-point in my Etrex I just press and hold down the 'click stick' until the way-point screen appears and the just cursor over to the long/lat box, click it and edit the way-point info.

Once you have edited the waypoint, you can use the Goto feature to get to the compass pointer that you want.

When I first started I figured out how to upload a waypiont long before I figured out how to enter one and edit it to the coords I wanted. The manual isn't clear on that. Marking where you are at was easy to understand. Marking where you wanted to be was another concept entirely.

Edited by Renegade Knight