Geko 101

Dragonpearl

I started with a 101, and loved it. I was able to walk my entire property line (about 120 acres) in very heavy tree cover and it worked flawlessly, and held on to around 15 ft accuracy even in dense overhead tree cover. I'm sure you'll like it. :mad:

EDIT: One other downside besides not being able to load software, it really ate the AAA batteries, but that was of little concern to me, they're cheap!

Edited by Sparky-Watts

I have one, and love it for the small size. I have a Magellen 315 also, but the 101 fits in my jacket pocket so it goes everywhere I do.

The plus sides are fairly accurate, easy to use, small size, and discreet if your in a crowded area.

The downsides are it eats the AAA's (NIMH rechargables and a charger from radio shack are a definate must have!) and you cant view your actual coordinates without marking a waypoint, I really like having a real time display of the location.

and you cant view your actual coordinates without marking a waypoint, I really like having a real time display of the location.

You can view your actual coordinates. I don't remember where that feature is, but I know you can. That's how I followed my property lines...just walked along and stayed at the same Lat or Long, depending on my direction at the time.

I've got a geko101 as a christmas present. How accurate is it? Has anyone else tried one? It's pretty cute and teeny. :mad:

Thats what i use and it works great for me.I think its a great gpsr for the beginner and then maybe move up later on.I have not seen no reason to change models though. i guess if you dont like manualy putting in the coordinates it would not be for you, but for the price diffrence i dont mind.

and you cant view your actual coordinates without marking a waypoint, I really like having a real time display of the location.

You can view your actual coordinates. I don't remember where that feature is, but I know you can. That's how I followed my property lines...just walked along and stayed at the same Lat or Long, depending on my direction at the time.

Well color me stupid, I missed that whole feature!

Thanks!!!!!!

The 101 has been just fine for me. I've found about 80 caches with my gecko so far. Kinda neat to get signal when others complain about signal problems.....

But that could just be sat positions. But this little thing seems to work as well as any other handheld. The entering of coords doesn't bother me. It's very fast and one handed once you learn how. Tough unit, too. (believe me!)

You can view your actual coordinates. ......

Geko 101 - How to see current coordinates

- Press Page button until you get to the navigation page (with the compass ring)

- Press the up and down arrows to change the data field until you see coordinates.

Enjoy!

I just got a Geko 101 for Christmas as well. Yay!

- Pete

I feel qualified to reply here. I own Vista. Bought 2 Geko 101

for my kids. Have compared them extensively and found the Geko's do tend to keep lock better than the Vista in heavy cover. They also tend to lock faster from startup. You can view your position as stated previously. They both tend to be fine units as far as positioning goes...very much equals if not better than the more expensive units (though I fail to understand why). I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use them for everyday caching. I do like the other features of the Vista when it comes to hiking, using maps, altimeter, etc but the Geko is a fine unit IMO, not to mention it is lightweight enough to clip to the bill of your baseball cap as you hike. :unsure:

I bought a geko 201 for myself for Christmas. We'll have to share notes...I think they are similar but the 201 has wilderness games.

I'm new to all of this. Just heard of Geocaching a month ago and really want to get into it. But I'm concerned if you can't hook it to the computer...I thought ALL of the GPS models could do that?! :unsure: Does this mean the Geko users can't upload mapping info?

You can hook a Geko 201 to the computer (PC, anyway), it's the 101 which doesn't have that feature. I would advise you get a cheap cable from Ebay rather than the official Garmin one, the cheap ones work fine. Just be aware that they are serial cables; a bit annoying in the days of USB, make sure you have a serial port...

But I'm concerned if you can't hook it to the computer...I thought ALL of the GPS models could do that?! :unsure: Does this mean the Geko users can't upload mapping info?

The Geko 101 can't be connected to a computer. B)

Not all GPSs have the ability to do maps. None of the Gekos can. But it's still a fine unit for Geocaching. Maps are nice, but you pay extra to have that feature and yet more to get the maps to load. So it'a all about how much you want to spend. B)

It all boils down to what you want to use your GPSr for. If it's just for geocaching, then the 101 is great for a low-end, practical unit. If you want to use it for more navigating, auto-routing, etc., then you'd want a higher-end unit, like the GPSV or Street Pilot (or something similar. I started out with the 101, but now use a Legend, and have the Mapsource MetroGuide USA, which allows you to plot routes on the PC and transfer them to the GPSr. Higher models like I mentioned before will allow you to plot routes directly on the GPSr. Ya get what ya pay for, though.