Topo Software For Non-mapping GPS?

Bill Roberts

Thanks for the reply,

I went to the NG website, and they have the TOPO maps for $99 per state !!!

they also have Backroads Explorer for $45., and covers the whole country.

the difference appears to be the TOPO is 1:24,000 (7.5') maps

where the Backroads is 1:100,000.

Do I need the 1:24,000 to draw accurate routes?

Thanks,

Bill

I second the ExpertGPS nomination. It's great for waypoint management and route creation. You have to download the topo maps and aerial photography from the internet, but you've got the whole country.

I've got two kinds of MapSend programs, Street Atlas USA, and NG Topo for two states, but ExpertGPS still fills this particular niche in a way that none of the others to. Trial version available.

Hmm, come to think of it, I seem to have acquired a lot of maps on the hard drive. Is there a 12-step program for map software users? :)

I use easyGPS along with USAphotomaps It gives topo as well as photo maps.

Both are free or donation ware .

I second the looking at USAPhotoMaps. I have connected it directly to my Geko and transferred tracks from it. I haven't tried created and then uploading, but I see the functions on the menu. Hey, for free, all you have to loose is your time finding out!

The only downside to USAPhotoMaps is that it has to download everything. If you're on dial-up and want a big area that can take awhile. A little inconvenient if you happen to be on the road and need another area. But what do you expect with a media-less product?

I tried Fugawi (trial version) and Mapsource (a friend had it). I really did not like Fugawi because it had too much buttons and was just painful to use. Mapsource has very less buttons, and is quite easy to use, though its search function just sucks. I can move to anypoint in Europe, grab a city name and the dadgum Mapsource can't find anything if I type the City name in the search window. I got the Mapsource with Europe routes and I use it to find faster and shorter routes to places I go. I insert waypoints, then I check the best route and I mark waypoints on it, and upload it to my eTrex Venture. I found that very often I could have better ways of going to my various's friends houses :)

I like Mapsource a lot. The first one I bought was the worldmap one. It's not fantastic but has main roads for most countries and is interesting to learn more about world's geography. The Europe Roads and Recreation (especially the "roads" part of it) is great.

Fugawi seems quite good when it comes to marine maps though :tongue:

Any Mapsource product will send waypoints routes tracks back and forth to your unit. Just maps which your unit will not allow.

Mapsource won't allow you to draw a track. NG Topo won't send them back.

Mapsource is the smoothest program I've used to load info back and forth to my Garmins.

Also GPSTrackmaker is a free ware and works well with Garmins.