Garmin Gecko 101 Newbie

Rameyclan

I've just been given a Garmin Gecko 101 as a gift and I love it. BUT...

I can't figure out how to input the designation for a cache and find my way to those coordinates. I have figured out the "project a waypoint" feature, but don't know how to use it.

Anybody out there have any advice??

-Rameyclan

Find the menu page.

Click on "Mark".

Hit the up/down keys until the co-ords are highlighted.

Click enter.

now scroll through the co-ordinates and change numbers by hitting enter and scrolling up/down.

Hit ok.

hit the up/down keys until the name (at this point a number) is highlighted.

Enter a name (it's kind of like changing co-ordinates, only different)

hit ok

hit ok.

eventually you'll end up at waypoints.

either look for nearest waypoint or search by name.

select the one you just created and hit goto.

pray it worked.

Thanks folks, the manual wasn't as clear.

-R

They never are! I don't think the people that write the manuals ever use the unit in the field. :mad:

I started with a 101 and really liked it for a beginner model, I'm sure you'll be happy with it too. It's got it's limitations, but overall a very decent unit. Happy Geocaching and Good Luck!

It took me awhile to figure this out on my Geko too. The trick is you can't just input the coordinates to create a new waypoint, you have to set a waypoint then edit the coordinates. The manual does not explain this very well and I'm still waiting (9 months later) for a response to my email to Garmin "support".

It took me awhile to figure this out on my Geko too. The trick is you can't just input the coordinates to create a new waypoint, you have to set a waypoint then edit the coordinates.

You shouldn't have to, although I see what you mean. You need to start setting the current location as a waypoint, but then edit it prior to hitting the "OK" icon that actually saves the waypoint. What may not be obvious is that you can edit the location. You have to highlight the block of number and press the OK button and then you can edit them.