Most Found Caches

BeachBuddies

Astrojr1 started this Most Finds For One Cache topic recently -- but it ended up talking mostly about the Yellow Jeep cache, now with over 1000 finds.

I've been collecting some stats on caches for a while, and here are some of my results. Of the ones I've checked so far (about half of them):

Yellow Jeep Fever has the most logs for any locationless cache, currently at 1010. By far, most of the top 100 are locationless.

Top Event Cache: 1000 WGA Geo-Campout 2003

Top "Other" Cache: 449 The Rock that Rolls

Top Traditional Cache: 386 I-90/I-495 Bug Hotel

Top Virtual Cache: 299 MM MM Good

Top Diff 5 Cache: 113 The Contact Cache

Top Terrain 5 Cache: 69 Canned Mountain Preserves

I've found 49 caches (so far) that are classified as "Traditional", and have more than 200 logs. I'll see if I can find any other interesting stats for us soon.

-BeachBuddies

I was looking at the page for the Wisconsin Campout with the "1000" finds. When I first read that, I though WOW! ;) 1000 cachers got together? Impressive! So I clicked the link to look and it says "49 teams" came to the event and "you may log a Found It! entry for each of the temporary caches you found during the weekend"

I have only been to a very few events. Only 2 big organized ones with lots of temporary caches, but no one from either picnic logged multiple finds on the Event page for the temporary event caches.

I figure, of course it's different in every part of the country, and this probably is "the norm" in Wisconsin.. So I was wondering if people did that in other parts of the country too? Or if it's more common to just log the Event itself and count the temp caches as fun.. Just curious how events go in different parts of the country.

:D:P

Please note this is not derogatory. :D We LOVE going to events, and are hoping to do several out of state events this summer/fall. Some people have even said to me "I doubt it's as much fun going to an out of state event." But it really is. Or maybe we are just event addicts. =)

-OW

We did a geocaching poker run before Thanksgiving, four caches, one log. Even if you didn't find any of the poker caches attending the finale counted as a find. Plans are in the works for two more events that will involve multipule caches but we hadn't considered logging finds for each cache. Could be incentive for more participation. Although the turn out for the poker run was impressive with a single find. Hummmm. I'll have to run this one by the gang.

EDIT: We could get in the stats!!!!! :D;)

Edited by rusty_tlc
"you may log a Found It! entry for each of the temporary caches you found during the weekend"

I figure, of course it's different in every part of the country, and this probably is "the norm" in Wisconsin.. So I was wondering if people did that in other parts of the country too? Or if it's more common to just log the Event itself and count the temp caches as fun.. Just curious how events go in different parts of the country.

I have not seen that type of cacheflation happen at a New England event. In CT, there is a group of cachers that place quite a few permanent caches before their events. In MA, we usually have a bonus cache or two that end up being permanent. Oops! They are still waiting for one of the caches from the last event to be posted... My bad.

-WR

I have not seen that type of cacheflation happen at a New England event.

As a member of the WGA (Wisconsin Geocachers Association) I may be perceived as biased on this subject, but I am offering my views anyway. Can you explain the difference between finding a temporary cache compared to a permanent one? Should it not be considered a find? I believe the reason we post our finds on the event page is because, as a temporary cache, there is no page to log the find on. Besides BeachBuddies stated these were the caches with the most logs, not the most finds. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive but the term cacheflation seems to imply some sort of wrongdoing. For the record our events are always open to any geocachers who are interested in attending, as we regularly have people from out of state. I highly recommend our annual picnic, my personal favorite.

Here is one stat I'd like to see. This should interest people not concerned about the numbers. What cache has the most waypoints? Here in Wisconsin we've had one with 19 waypoints for a couple years and now one with 22 tops the numbers. I spent the better part of two days on that one. Hard to run up the numbers that way!