Garmin 12 Powers Off While In Use, Batt Are Good

Sat11

4 days ago, while driving through a bumpy forest road, garmin 12 was taking quite a beating, the gps on its own went off. Batt level was about 55%, after putting it on, all the tracks had been erased, the waypoints were intact. This problem of the unit going off happened 3 time over the next 30min, after which it working well.

The unit setup is in 'Normal' not 'power save' mode.

What is the problem?

Sat

My Garmin 12XL will do that sometimes, but only when using rechargeable batteries. The batteries seem to be very slightly smaller than regular batteries (probably more a brand thing than a regular/rechargeable issue) and when it gets jarred, the batteries lose contact. The easy way to fix it is to slightly bend the wire coils holding the batteries in place to make a tighter fit.

it may be the batteries being loose, though i've never had that problem with my 12xl, or it may be a glitch in the software. i downloaded a patch from the garmin website into my unit and have had no more problems with it turning itself off. hope you get it resolved soon. -harry

it may be a glitch in the software. i downloaded a patch from the garmin website into my unit and have had no more problems with it turning itself off

Harry,

The Garmin 12 is operating on software version 4.58, so updating to 4.60, french translations, will not help.

From Garmin site ''This software is only compatible with GPS 12 units with operating software versions 4.00 to 4.58.  Download (896 KB)

Changes made from version 4.58 to 4.60 -  Updated French translations.

I just hope it a loose batt terminal or something not to serious. I do not live in the US, quite a problem for me to have it repaired...

thanks for your help

Sat

4 days ago, while driving through a bumpy forest road, garmin 12 was taking quite a beating, the gps on its own went off. Batt level was about 55%, after putting it on, all the tracks had been erased, the waypoints were intact. This problem of the unit going off happened 3 time over the next 30min, after which it working well.

The unit setup is in 'Normal' not 'power save' mode.

What is the problem?

Sat

Some Garmins have a known problem with the battery contacts that will cause the unit to shut off if jarred. I think a little padding to keep the batteries from rattling will solve the problem. The probably is apparently very sensitive to the size of the batteries to the point of being battery brand specific.

sat11,

sorry to hear it wasn't as easy as downloading the patch for the version of software on your 12. if you try to increase the tension on the springs in the battery compartment by stretching them be careful! i've heard some incidences of the springs snapping off when stretched too far. good luck. -harry

:)

Harry,

The Garmin 12 is operating on software version 4.58, so updating to 4.60, french translations, will not help.

Actually, it will help. Then you can swear at your unit in BOTH official Canadian languages when it shuts off on you......(tabernack... I 'ate 'dis GPS 'ting wen it do 'dis to me....now... I ham lost....) :)

The problem is as the others have described, some batteries are smaller in diameter than others and they shift around and lose contact. Also, the batteries are held in contact with "springs" and by their very nature springs bounce around when gravity is rapidly applied and retracted (read bouncing down a road) and therefore it is only logical that sometime it will lose contact thereby shutting down the unit.

Try using some sort of spacer in the battery tray to reduce bounce. Also using a constant 12 volt powersource as in a cigarette lighter cord with reduce or eliminate this problem.