Just Curious....

wray_clan

not to be a skeptic but it wasn't too terribly long ago that a certain infamous team had 700+ benchmarks logged inwhich most were fake logs. I really wish it was a requirement to post pictures with your finds... but oh well.

Noy HappyCycler you my friends have an impressive list of benchmark finds. Great pictures!

Edited by pnew
[T]hey always post pictures and post a description.

Pictures are, of course, useful as proof of actually having visited the benchmark in question, and I suppose one could also see them as an aid to the next visitor in finding a benchmark.

Benchmarking may be related to geocaching, but with a difference: caches are designed to be hard-to-find, whereas benchmarks are placed precisely so they can be recovered in the future. The descriptions and coordinates in the official datasheets, and by extension our descriptions and photos, each help the next visitor quickly and accurately locate the benchmark.

Also, they serve as a check to ensure that the object found is actually the benchmark. Some evildoers deliberately falsify logs, but much more often a well-meaning benchmarkers will post a false log - for example, reference marks logged incorrectly as the station referred to.

But before setting out with my official datasheets, I'll usually check to see if there are prior logs of the stations I plan on visiting. If a benchmark is listed as 'not found,' I may pass it up in favor of a more promising one. (Or, depending on my disposition that day, I may take it as a challenge.)

Having said all this, I would also urge that when people post pictures, they include the location - at least the county and state - in the caption. It makes much more interesting browsing in the gallery.

-ArtMan-

I tell you what. I haven't logged a bunch of benchmarks but some of them have been much harder to find than some caches, especially when they are buried under a few inches of dirt and gravel (or in one case a few feet of dirt that I never found). I'll probably be doing a lot more benchmark hunting as the number of caches in my area that I haven't found are becoming less and less.

I have a number of them that are found at night while traveling through an area I still have found no way to get night photos unless the Benchmark is well lit up,in some cases they are and I post the best picture I can get.It makes for a future visit during the daylight to recover better pictures at a later date and some have added photos after my logs of it being there.

To me this is a lifelong adventure to always have some reason to go back to an area and get more detail,and photos.

Happy.......................................................................................... Geotrails

Bucky & Me's stats are way toooooooooooo cool and my hat is off to them. I know how much FUN they have enjoyed finding them and, can honestly say that the benchmark finds for me are worth more to me than most reg caches, it’s one thing to find a box someone else hid in the woods a year ago but to find something no one has found in a 100 years now that a challenge ……………… JOE

:D