Can A Cache Be Placed Here?

The Weasel

Non active tracks are very often dontated to the state or other public agency.

If this is the case that agenys cache policy applies. You may need to point out the special case to your approver.

If it hasn't been donated yet then it's still a RR.

I 99.9% sure that the tracks were shutdown due to the fact that they were so old and unsafe. I don't think they have been in use for some time. The railroad ties are really starting to rot and get bad, which is why they shut them down.

By "EXEMPT" do you mean not active, like Rails to Trails?

If so, like RK said, make it known to the cache reviewer that the rail is not longer used.

Good luck!

There is a sign at the crossing that says EXEMPT, and below it says not in use. The tracks cross a busy road, and the warning lights have been removed.

Ok, I feel better after that nap. It seems like there are more cat themed avatars than anything else

As I was saying before, since Weasel is over in Marion I know several of those tracks have had bridges removed and parts of the rail ripped out. If he is willing to be more specific about the location, my railroad-working brother-in-law can probably confirm the status of the tracks.

Ok, I feel better after that nap. It seems like there are more cat themed avatars than anything else

As I was saying before, since Weasel is over in Marion I know several of those tracks have had bridges removed and parts of the rail ripped out. If he is willing to be more specific about the location, my railroad-working brother-in-law can probably confirm the status of the tracks.

I sent ya a e-mail about the spot!! :lol:

I have found a kinda neat place for a cache. The only problem is that the cache is located underneath a set of EXEMPT railroad tracks that are not in use. I know we cant have a cache within a certian distance of active tracks, but was wondering if this also goes for non-active tracks as well.

"Exempt" means that Haz-mat and/or passenger carrying commercial vehicles do not have to stop prior to crossing the tracks.

Concerning railroads - railroads are private property and thus any access IS in fact trespassing. Railroads are dangerous places whether you think they are active or not. If the tracks exist, there is the possibility of a train.

Being involved with railroads myself, I strongly suggest against placing any cache on or near any railroad right of way.

Operation Lifesaver

LOOK, LISTEN AND LIVE!

Greg

DublinJeepers