Snowshoe Caches?

Bull Moose

Does anyone have any suggestions for caches that can be found in the next couple months via snowshoe in the Olympics or Cascades?

I've been meaning to use my snowshoes more, and caching would give me a good excuse.

I think the prohibitive problem would be that the cache would likely be under feet of snow, so I'm not optimistic, but has anyone tried it?

Does anyone have any suggestions for caches that can be found in the next couple months via snowshoe in the Olympics or Cascades?

I've been meaning to use my snowshoes more, and caching would give me a good excuse.

I think the prohibitive problem would be that the cache would likely be under feet of snow, so I'm not optimistic, but has anyone tried it?

I have not found this one but:

GEO STUMPY

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...aa-0be265a32bd1

Claims to be a snow shoe only cache as you need the extra altitude that the snow gives you to be able to reach it.

The Ice Cave Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-a50d0c1ec380

Was placed by someone on snow shoes. Those that have hunted it in the summer have had a hard time getting to it because of the heavy brush, but with 15 feet of snow on the ground you walk right over that stuff :huh:

I have not found this one but:

GEO STUMPY

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...aa-0be265a32bd1

Claims to be a snow shoe only cache as you need the extra altitude that the snow gives you to be able to reach it.

The Ice Cave Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-a50d0c1ec380

Was placed by someone on snow shoes. Those that have hunted it in the summer have had a hard time getting to it because of the heavy brush, but with 15 feet of snow on the ground you walk right over that stuff :huh:

Lookng to go for it...maybe 1200 on Geostumpy.

Hey, that Ice Cave cache might be a good one to attempt on a showshoeing excursion with the WSGA. I'm all ready to try something out that's not toooooo intense for a first time.

What are the roads on the scenic mountain loop like at this time of year?

Cin

edit: actually, both of those look like good ones for a group -- especially with first-timers like me!

Edited by CachinCin
Hey, that Ice Cave cache might be a good one to attempt on a showshoeing excursion with the WSGA. I'm all ready to try something out that's not toooooo intense for a first time.

Cin

edit: actually, both of those look like good ones for a group -- especially with first-timers like me!

the ice cave is near trhe winter road closure, but just before it I think. If's it cold out, the road will be very , very icy. I don't like driving the road in the winter unless it's above freezing.

Cin

Is there any such excursion planned? I have never snowshoed before, but would very much like to try it.

Hey, that Ice Cave cache might be a good one to attempt on a showshoeing excursion with the WSGA.  I'm all ready to try something out that's not toooooo intense for a first time. 

Cin

edit:  actually, both of those look like good ones for a group -- especially with first-timers like me!

Is there any such excursion planned? I have never snowshoed before, but would very much like to try it.

The WSGA got together in January or December last year, I think. I wasn't able to make it, but I heard from a few people who had a great time.

I've never been either, but I really really really want to give it a try. I have it on good authority that someone (okay, probably me) is going to try to get another group together for a snowshoeing excursion. I'd love to hear from more experienced snowshoers who might be willing to accompany some of us beginners.

Cin

Hey, that Ice Cave cache might be a good one to attempt on a showshoeing excursion with the WSGA.  I'm all ready to try something out that's not toooooo intense for a first time. 

Cin

edit:  actually, both of those look like good ones for a group -- especially with first-timers like me!

Bunch of us are definitely considering going snowshoeing...nothing concrete yet though. I know I want GeoStumpy and the other one also looks good. We'll bring cache to plant if go for geostumpy because a group tried for it last year and didnt' find it. Figure take a ammo box with us and stash it somewhere. I've donen some snowshoeing up on sTevens pass on that side before I knew about caching. Beautiful area.

...nothing concrete yet though

Not until you strap on the shoes....

always in the dry powder of the Rockies

A new term you might want to familiarize yourself with CachinCin: Cascade Concrete

Good term PdxMarathonman...I use those plastic snowshoes...MSR Denali Classics....only 22 inches long...don't need anthing longer in our wet, hardish snow. it does come wiht two extensions to adjust to powder situations. I have yet to try it on powder snow though.

I'm looking to upgrade my shoes to the Denali Ascent model....they have televator heels like skis do and this'll make the climbing hell of a lot easier. I saw my friend John with those shoes and he left me in the dust or should I say snow flakes :-) goign up the steep slope.

Anyway to those who haven't done this before...REI rents them out and also Wilderneess Sports in Bellevue...on 20th street. Anyway, If I can find a really good deal, I'll get those new shoes and still have my old ones for whoever's going with me.

always in the dry powder of the Rockies

A new term you might want to familiarize yourself with CachinCin: Cascade Concrete

LOLing :lol:

It really is a very different type of snow. I've found that I don't know how to "read it," if that makes any sense. The color, the texture, the way it falls... it's all different. I guess I just need to get up to the mountains and play around and start figuring it out.

Cin

Looks like the snowshoe thing could bre made into a cache event. We'll look into it. Last year it was organized through a outing coordinator, but we don't need to do that. You have to pay those people money.

I think it would be great to set something up. I'm a beginner (well, I showshoed as a child in Minnesota....but that was on those huge things that look like tennis rackets). I wouldn't want to hold others up, but it would be fun to get a group together to give things a try.

Any suggested dates? Perhaps in January, after the holiday season?

Cin

Come to Central Oregon. Anything above around 5000' is under several feet of snow. Right now, some of the caches on the mountain bike trails near Bend would be good candidates for snowshoes. Another one we did on snowshoes (skis would be fine most of the time, too) is Trillium Transporter near Trillium Lake. Also try Westview near Willamette Pass for a no-digging-required snow cache.

Edited by bigeddy
Now that the cache machine is over, we should get a snowshow outing together.

I'm not very familiar with the Cascade side of things or I'd just go ahead and do it myself... anyone?

I have no prior experience with snow-shoeing, and would be happy to be initiated. I don't have gear, but I'll be happy to team up join if someone has a spare pair. On the Olympic side, I would be happy to snowshoe with you to the Marmot Pass cache. I also have designs on placing a cache in the Mt. Townsend area. If you'd like to do that together, I'm game! Lots of options :(

Now that the cache machine is over, we should get a snowshow outing together.

I'm not very familiar with the Cascade side of things or I'd just go ahead and do it myself... anyone?

I have no prior experience with snow-shoeing, and would be happy to be initiated. I don't have gear, but I'll be happy to team up join if someone has a spare pair. On the Olympic side, I would be happy to snowshoe with you to the Marmot Pass cache. I also have designs on placing a cache in the Mt. Townsend area. If you'd like to do that together, I'm game! Lots of options :)

you can rent snowshoes from REI and other specialty outdoor shops. Might be 15 /bucks a day or somehting like that. But cheaper than 150 or so for a new pair. I would advise renting first to see if you like the shoes or not. Try out the MSR Denali shoes first. Good traction and easy binding system. if you like htose, you can buy a pair and get extenders for them to make the shoes longer. If you are planning on doing some steep ones, Ascent line should be looked into...televator heels.

Nothing planned on my end right now.

On the Olympic side, I would be happy to snowshoe with you to the Marmot Pass cache.

Yikes. I've hiked Marmot Pass in the summer, and there's no way I'm going to try that in snowshoes! :)

I also have designs on placing a cache in the Mt. Townsend area. If you'd like to do that together, I'm game!

I'd have to look into that one, as I'm not real familiar with that area.

On the Olympic side, I would be happy to snowshoe with you to the Marmot Pass cache.

Yikes. I've hiked Marmot Pass in the summer, and there's no way I'm going to try that in snowshoes! :)

Oh well, so you see how inexperienced I am with snowshoes.

I think it is one of the best hikes above the timber line in the Olympics, except, of coursem if you start out from Hurricane Ridge. No caches there, though, since it's a NP.

you can rent snowshoes from REI and other specialty outdoor shops. Might be 15 /bucks a day or somehting like that. But cheaper than 150 or so for a new pair. I would advise renting first to see if you like the shoes or not. Try out the MSR Denali shoes first. Good traction and easy binding system. if you like htose, you can buy a pair and get extenders for them to make the shoes longer. If you are planning on doing some steep ones, Ascent line should be looked into...televator heels.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check if they're available for rent in this area. I'm in Port Townsend...

I'm going to be trying for the Ice Cave cache on Saturday. If anyone else wants to meet up with me, the wife, and my dog, the more eyes the better.

I'm guessing we won't be to the trailhead until noon (leaving on the 9 AM ferry from Bremerton, 7:20 is too early on Saturday).

Contact me through geocaching, or I'll be on FRS 2.

My wife and I would love to join a group for some snow caching. For the next couple of weeks I'd need an easy one as I'm still recovering from surgery. I've snowshoed, skiied, camped and driven in our snow for several decades. I'd say instead of the term 'concrete' to discribe it use "mash potatos on a peanut butter base."

Probably a wise choice to turn around. Just above the next hill where it flatens out into the Big Four bowl, it usually takes a beating fom avalanches. I also went up there early in the year (last year?) and turned around HERE because the trail was impassible and returned later to claim a first find. An awesome cache hunt. One of my favs! And an awesome spot to visit regardless.