Underwater Caches?

Beta Test

This cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9e-2e19e4afb682

uses a buoy I think as the actual cache. Now, if you are in the Florida Keys you have to be careful not to touch coral. If I was doing an underwater cache, I would use for reference a close by above water object. Using the Keys as an example, I would choose a mooring ball for the cache reference, then use a compass bearing from the mooring ball anchor. Heck, you might even be able to use whatever the mooring ball is anchored with as the cache hiding spot. You just wouldn't want to place it in live coral. My friend says there are all sorts of man made objects laying about on the bottom down that way.

In a quarry that has been converted to scuba diving spot you have a lot of area to place a cache. One that I dived in in Pennsylvania had many underwater platforms that could have hidden a small cache.

A water channel marker may be off limits. You'd have to read up on the regulations for that. I know that you are not allowed to moor to them. Another idea is to place one that is submerged at high-tide. If you have tides that is, and don't live next to a lake. In that case, you could add a clue that sends them to a tide chart for that area for a particular day. I have seen one like that but I forget the cache name.

I have no ideas on water proofing. A totally underwater cache should use items that won't be affected by total submersion. You could toss a few dive slates in it, then retrieve them every few logged visits maybe. Hope this helped some.

I've been contemplating an underwater cache where my wife and I have about 30 diving certifications between us and spend a fair amount of time submerged, recreationally and occupationally.

I am of the present mindset that a cache container underwater will be clear, buoyant, and permanently affixed to a submerged mooring in reasonable recreational SCUBA or novice freediving limits. The container will include a laminated sheet visible from the outside, explaining the cache container, with secondary coordinates to make it a multi-cache. I have a freshwater location already in mind, with a 30 foot cabin cruiser sitting upright at 35 feet, and a SAAB 9000 sitting upright at 32 feet. Might as well make it a "wreck" dive if they're geocaching beneath the surface!

Some of the underwater caches I have seen listed are well beyond Open Water Diver limits, and others suggest removal of the cache container from the underwater mooring for logging and swapping of items on shore. There's a number of issues here, as you can imagine fair-weather snorkelers challenging narcosis and searching a wreck at 100 feet for slate with secondary latitude and longitude scribbled on it. Another concern is the inherent exclusion of the non-diving cachers that have no interest in obtaining certification that would allow them beyond their terrestrial moorings. It's also tough to get a GPS fix and descend on an exact coordinate with any depth beyond 30 feet (as GPS does not work beneath the surface.) And, as a underwater photographer, I can pretty much profess from experience that it's about impossible to leave the water briefly, open a watertight container, re-seal and submerge without introducing water into the container. When you're photographing cold water wrecks deeper than 100 feet and the condensation fogs over the camera housing and the camera is suddenly useless at depth, it makes for a frustrating decompression.

I'll eventually submit an underwater geocache that will help introduce geocachers to diving and divers to geocaching, but until then, I'm pretty confident that the cache container will be clear, permanently sealed, and permanently affixed to a submerged mooring with two or three feet of line that will keep the cache container free floating and away from bottom sediment.

Wreck Diver just where is this cache gonna be? huh huh huh :D

I'm leaning towards Hathaway Pond in Hyannis (Cape Cod) Massachusetts. It's a relatively small but deep kettle pond with good visibilty, abundant aquatic life, and underwater platforms for instructional purposes.

I think that short of Gloucester, it's one of the more popular Massachusetts locales for open water diving classes.

The cabin cruiser and SAAB are well away from the Open Water training areas, so that should help reduce accidental finds. I'll also likely adopt a system similar to the Lake Champlain Historical Preserve's means of marking the protected shipwrecks. I'd like the cache container near the wreck without affixing it on or immedately near the wreck itself.

41 degrees 40.990 N

70 degrees 18.685 W

Check out the trials and tribulations of this cache:

Super Duper Underwater Hydro Cache 2.0

and just be aware of some of the problems.

I also stumbled across a cache on the coast that is only accessible at low tide. I thought it was kind of interesting.