What Will A Palm Show?

gerper

I am going to be getting a new Palm this weekend (probably a Tungsten E) for geocaching. I just joined as a premium member so I can download the queries. What can I expect to show on my Palm when I download a particular geocache? Does this eliminate the need to print out the information sheets on caches?

Besides cachemate (which is the most popular here, judging from posts) what else is recommended? Finally, can anyone suggest a Palm holder or protector?

Any information is appreciated!

Edited by gerper

I use Spinner and Plucker and they work very well. It shows the entire info sheet and I think the last few logs. It also provides the decrypted hint. I never heard of Cachemate, so I can't comment on it. My experience with Mobipocket wasn't a good one, so I deleted it.

I'm pretty tough on my electronic devices, so I have an an aluminum Rhinoskin case for my Palm. You can step on it or sit on it without damaging your unit.

Here is a good page from Cybret on the subject of paperless geocaching with your Palm and Here is a good one from the GGA.

Edited by briansnat
I am going to be getting a new Palm this weekend (probably a Tungsten E) for geocaching. I just joined as a premium member so I can download the queries. What can I expect to show on my Palm when I download a particular geocache? Does this eliminate the need to print out the information sheets on caches?

Besides cachemate (which is the most popular here, judging from posts) what else is recommended? Finally, can anyone suggest a Palm holder or protector?

Any information is appreciated!

Well, I run Linux exclusively, so I can't comment on any of the desktop software for the GPX files. The PRC files for the Palm have the exact same data - the cache page and a few logs, and the hints are decrypted and stored at the end of the file. No maps, so you may want to take some good maps or an atlas with a GPS grid, just for the drive. Or you can go to the MapQuest map on the cache page, zoom in, and click the Save to PDA button (requires an AvantGo account). Whatever saves you from driving around in circles.

Other than that, it completely eliminates the need for printing cache pages.

As for the Palm case, I use a neoprene Body Glove PalmGlove. It's padded and you can store memory cards in it, or credit cards. You just add a piece of shaped velcro to the back of your PDA, depending on the model, and stick it in the case. Zip it up when not in use, and your Palm should be protected from just about anything - within limits, of course.

I have used CSpotRun as a reader before upgrading to a Tungsten E (best value/dollar palmOS device currently IMHO) now useing CacheMate.

As far as protecting it I just put it in my inside jacket pocket. For longer hikes, and any time I expect water I use a small tupperware container with some bubble wrap in it and put it in my backpack. I also do this with my C-5050 camera. Makes them easy to get at and waterproof too! I used to put them both in a camera case and then that in a zip lock bag but I found the tupperware easier to get at. One slip in a river crossing will make you glad you used a waterproof case!

I bought a less expensive Palm for about $80 (m500) ... because the ONLY thing I use it for is caching. I do use Cachemate and have found that as little as I want to do with the Palm, it's perfect for my needs. No fuss, no muss, and includes the full description, maximum of 5 logs, the hint (I choose to leave it encrypted, but there is a button that will decrypt it for me automagically), and some other goo - you can include very little info or all of the info available should you so choose.)

As far as carriers go - can't help you there. I usually leave my PDA in the truck although I've tossed it in my back pocket or in a zipped pocket inside my waterproof jacket a time or two when I thought it might be particularly useful on a hunt.

I have a Palm Vx and do this in a very roundabout way. Please forgive me but, being unemployed right now, it's the best I can afford. Besides, perhaps someone will suggest something that'll make this a whole lot easier / better. :P

- perform a search for caches in a particular area

- shift-click (Mac: command-click) on a cache URL to open the page in a new window

- read the description

-> don't want to do cache soon? close window and open next cache

- copy the following data:

- Waypoint, cache title, GPS coords, difficulty, terrain, description, URL

- paste into a text editor document and fix the formatting

- copy the newly formatted text and paste into a Palm Descktop memo document. (1)

- close browser window for this particular cache

- check the box to download the waypoint for that cache

- move on to the next cache

When I'm done with the page, I click on the button to download the Waypoint information for all the caches that I have checked which I then transfer to the GPS.

While I'm out caching, I can check the nearest waypoints and look the up in my Palm, get the description and go find it.

(1) I use a text editor because the memo pad editor for Palm Desktop isn't the best for text editing.

[ edit to fix typos ]

Edited by smenzel

/me thwaps Team GPSaxophone over the noggin'. :P

I made several environmental groups happy when I switched over to my OLD Palm IIIxe to hold my cache pages. It isn't a 400MHz processor, but you don't really need the Ferrari of PDAs to read text. Besides, color is far from a necessity while caching in the desert or even urban caches.

The print count went from 40 pages+/week to maybe 1 to print the MapSource map with the caches listed. With the find feature of PalmReader and the versatility of Plucker, any information I needed was at my disposal within seconds. I'd love a faster and newer PDA, but if I'm just using it for caching atm, there is no reason to spend the money to upgrade on something like this. RockShox for my mountain bike would be a better investment. :)