Let's Hear Your Transit Stories!

Jomarac5

We have a moving cache in Vancouver called Vancouver Transit. It's owned by MrGigabyte and as well as being one of the oldest and most logged caches, it is one of the favourites of the area. I myself have found it (and not found it) and hidden it several times.

Although this type of cache is no longer allowed (as outlined in the rules at geocaching.com -- there are still a few that are grandfathered), I think it would be very interesting to hear some of the stories that have occured with moving caches around the world -- the cache does not have to still be active to tell your story.

I ask that this thread be only about stories (good, bad, or just plain funny) that pertain to moving caches -- please don't post about whether or not moving caches should be allowed anymore -- on this website, they are not and nothing more needs to be said about it. It is also not about what the rules should be for a moving cache -- this discussion is about the stories that have resulted from finding and hiding a moving cache. I ask that the moderators remove any post that is off topic.

What are your favourite moving cache stories?

I have a Cache that is in a sense a moving Cache since I'm not in that rocking chair yet. The Geo-Touring cache was just an idea several years ago. Several Cachers have contacted me and three have done it, with only 2 logging it as a find. And a unique feature of this Cache is that it can be done anywhere, as long as I'm there.

It's real nice to just take time with some other Cachers and go looking. When Stan came out West it was a nice 4x4 ride with him and his companions, and Lil Tahosa went along and had fun with some other kids.

I just did it with two other Cachers who needed some help in finding an elusive Cache and we had a fun day in the hills. When we took a lunch break after about a 5 mile walk, I should of taken a picture of them when I pulled out a cold one to wash down my ham sandwich. But the beer was more important than the camera.

What I think is nice about this Cache is the friendship and fun that Cachers though being complete strangers can share. In a sense its a live and vivable cache.

My kids and I went to look for a moving cache called "Fraser Valley Regional Transport" It was hidden under a bridge. It was a very gray and rainy day. Signal was poor and there were about a hundred places that the cache could be in and the hint didn't help. We looked around the bases and in the crags between many boulders and didn't find it.

I decided to go up onto the bridge to try and get a stronger signal, while the kids looked in and around the boulders. I set the GPS on the bridge railing while I cleaned my glasses and when I reached for it again I accidentally knocked it off the railing. It fell about 15 feet right onto the top of one of the big granite boulders. I trudged back down to retrieve the GPS, certain that it would be broken, but it wasn't. (Thankfully, Garmin Geckos are really tough!)

I got back up on the bridge again, then my son screamed and called out for me. His nose was bleeding heavily, and he and the other kids were panicking. It seems he bent over to check between some rocks and a stick got shoved right up his nose. I cleaned him up and calmed them all down, and we resumed the hunt. I was just about to give up when I decided to look one more time under the bridge. The container was painted flat black and was placed in a space between some creosoted timbers. It was almost invisible!

Feeling good about the find, we headed home. My son began to complain about his nose hurting.(I wasn't suprised) When we got home, My wife took him to the clinic where the doctor extracted a stick 1/4" in diameter and 2 inches long. According to my wife, the doc quite loudly exclaimed , despite himself, " Holy S**T!" when the saw the size of the piece of stick. Amazing, since we repeatedly looked up his nose with a flashlight to be sure there was nothing there.

All in all, a memorable cache hunt, but not for the right reasons, of course!

Edited by BeDoggy
We have a moving cache in Vancouver called Vancouver Transit. It's owned by MrGigabyte and as well as being one of the oldest and most logged caches, it is one of the favourites of the area. I myself have found it (and not found it) and hidden it several times.

Although this type of cache is no longer allowed (as outlined in the rules at geocaching.com -- there are still a few that are grandfathered), I think it would be very interesting to hear some of the stories that have occured with moving caches around the world -- the cache does not have to still be active to tell your story.

I ask that this thread be only about stories (good, bad, or just plain funny) that pertain to moving caches -- please don't post about whether or not moving caches should be allowed anymore -- on this website, they are not and nothing more needs to be said about it. It is also not about what the rules should be for a moving cache -- this discussion is about the stories that have resulted from finding and hiding a moving cache. I ask that the moderators remove any post that is off topic.

What are your favourite moving cache stories?

I REALLY DONT THINK MOVING CACHES SHOULD BE ALLOWED ;)

I currently have The Corps of Discovery in my custody. I got it to it's goal. ;)

Now I have to decide: I might turn it over to a fellow geocacher due to my potential-target-practice excuse for a GPSr. Second idea: park it at the site of one of my archived caches, since I have pre-determined coords for at least one potential decent "campsite" as the owner describes it. That might work. ;)