Topo Software And Trail Info

I have a Meridian Color that I have been using recently for geocaching. It would be nice to have trail information right on the GPS. What are your opinions of the Magellan Topo Software? Will this show me trails? How accurate and thorough are they? Do they only have trail info for large areas (i.e., White Mountains, NH) or do they also have trail info for local (small town) conservation areas? Do you know what the source of the maps are so that I might review before purchasing? Is there a better solution than using the Meridian software (I have seen posts about the National Geographic topo maps)?

Thanks!

Edited by johnnycachers

The Topo sw will typically show more well known Nationial Parks trails but not National Forests or State Parks. I can't pull up the relevant note I read, but this mapping software is based on the Tiger map engine(?) which is not all that great to begin with. I have personally noted errors where a stream comes down a mountain and where gullies versus ridges are, but you will find this kind of error in any kind of map because the data is still pulled from last known surveyed datum.

I still find the map handy because it still gives me something to look at on the screen in relationship to what I see around me. However, as always, keep a paper based map and a magnetic compass with you as a backup, and if possible, have the map be from a local cartographer. The level of detail has the potential of being better and more accurate.

Mapsend Topo is one of those programs that could be so much more, but it isnt. The map quality is better than the base map. I couldn't use the gps without loading these maps into the gps. Well, I could but mine maps, I at least want a map with some streets. End Rant.

Bottom Line is, right now Mapsend Topo is the only name in town for topo maps being uploaded into your gps. Are there trails on it? Yes. Appalachian Trail? Little, tiny, old, sections. Local Trails? Here by me, the state park trails are on it. Not all of them, Just the ones in Waywayanda State Park. But not the section of AT that runs though the park. So after being disgruntled and complaining to thales, Im waiting for what they will have next. Will it be free? I dont think so. Not even an updated version of 4.20d is free like promised with my copy of 3.0a. I emailed me them and they sent me 4.20c, the unoffical one. However, with dedication and local trail maps you can hike all of the trails and map them yourself. Thats what I do. Just my .02.

OK, sounds like the Mapsend Topo software is not going to get me what I want; local, state, and national forest trails right on my GPS screen. How about future releases of Mapsend, does anyone have any insight as to what and when something good may be coming out? Also, how useful are National Geographic Topo maps for printing out local, state, and national trail info??

Thanks.

Some new users expect too much from GPSr maps. All GPSr TOPO maps are very limited when compared to any paper maps. The GPSr maps are an added tool for navigation, not an end all do everything device.

I think that Mapsend TOPO is the all-in-one software. It has everything that the Streets and Dest. has minus the POI. Might be the reason Magellan is packaging the Gold with TOPO and Directroute.

You do have to do research for trail info. There is another thread that says the National Geographic software is nice. You can even go their web site and download users trail mapping.