Rhino 120

thcri

Has anyone out there have good experience with the Rhino 120. We are thinking of buying a few of them for hunting. We will be hunting in a 5 mile radius and I know there is only a 2 mile range which we think will work just fine. My big question is will the Rhino work good for making aerial maps with waypoints and tracks?

murph

The 2 mile range is on FRS. Supposedlt 5 mile on GMRS, but you can't send locations to each other over GMRS.

As far as mapping, I use the track log to overlay primitive roads @ our camp onto the topo maps. Also waypoints of treestands and such--neat to see them all on a map!!

Has anyone out there have good experience with the Rhino 120. We are thinking of buying a few of them for hunting. We will be hunting in a 5 mile radius and I know there is only a 2 mile range which we think will work just fine. My big question is will the Rhino work good for making aerial maps with waypoints and tracks?

murph

I have had a BAD experience with the Rino 120. The one I had worked fine EXCEPT when I took it to Grand Central Station geocache (located by LAX airport) where the whole thing locked up. The only way I could get it working again was to remove the batteries. It hasn't happened anywhere else. Another user had a similiar experience (sorry I don't recall his name). I suspect the unit doesn't fair well in the presence of strong radio or radar frequencies (I was just next to the airport).

I returned the unit after 2 weeks. There are some complaints about the battery working loose... and the battery cover that I've read around here.

If you plan on just using it for hunting/geocaching and don't plan on taking it near an airport, you should be fine.

i havent had problems with my rino120, it works great! i take it hunting (with mapsource topo loaded in it)

to mark/find places using my gps

i use usaphotomaps(aerial and topo maps)

usa photomaps can be found at jdmcox.com

its allways fun to load the tracks and waypoints onto the aerial maps

oh, and you can also change how frequently the track points are marked: more often, most often, normal,less and least often, i dont remember what the times are anymore, maybe someone can?

you can also specifify the tracklog to mark points going by either distance or time, or have the unit in automatic mode,

Edited by kevin917z
I have used mine on a plane at the airport and have never had any problems. With radio on or off!

Here is someone who experienced the same problem hunting the same cache. Do a search in this forum for Grand Central and filter by the user CurlyKrakow.

I suspect the problem lies in the GPS side (when I had the lockup the FRS/GMRS radio was turned off).

The location in where it happened was just outside of the airport. In an area where you can plainly see serveral radio towers. One of which was like a spinning dome (Tacan may be ???) and didn't look like a dish.

Clearly this was an area where there is a lot RF in the area, more so than sitting in an airplane in the airport.