Does anyone use real bread crumbs?

manuelcasi

This is the deal. I am a single guy and seem to have a problem getting Through a whole loaf of bread before it goes stale (I have seen half loafs while traveling but they do not stock them here). So I usually crumble the left over bread and spread around outside near my apartment. I know you are not supposed to feed wild life and never would where they would become dependent upon it. However I was thinking since when I go geocaching I am never in the same place would it be OK to drop a few crumbs here and there. I would drop of the trail so it would not be seen. I know the birds would enjoy it or perhaps some ants? Who knows it just seems Earth friendly to give the old bread to MAMA nature in stead of adding to a land fill? What ya think folks?

www.ManuelCasillas.com

Hmmm... I'm a single guy too, and on occasion I'm stuck with a partial loaf of bad bread. Usually I just eat around the mold.. but in cases that its so bad that even I don't want to eat it, I just toss it in the trash.

I'm not too concerned about filling the landfills with bread, since I imagine bread is probably one of the most degradable substances in existance. Of course, bread in a plastic sack isn't as degradable, but the plastic sack goes in the trash whether I give my bread to the birds or not. And since bread is pretty smushy, I don't think it takes up room in the (relatively) short time that it takes to be broken down by mold and bacteria in a landfill.

On the other side of the same hand is my concern for disrupting the aesthetic beauty of an area by tossing slices of bread around. Of course, it doesn't take long to disappear from there, either.

So.. in conclusion. I don't do it, but I don't think it hurts any-thing/one either way.

Jamie

Bread does not have enough nutritional value for the birds, rather it just acts as a filler. So while the birds love to eat it, it actually does them harm as they don't get enough energy out of eating it and can't eat anything else. If they eat enough of it they will freeze to death.

Of course, you can also offer birds kitchen scraps such as crusts and cake crumbs but do not be misled into thinking that all that birds want is bread. Although bread is a lot better than not eating at all, for a hungry bird, it is a poor substitute for a varied and more nutritious diet. In addition, certain foods, such as desiccated coconut, if consumed in large enough quantities, can be potentially fatal.

Bird Watches Digest

My Pet Stop

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Grumble, grumble...bunch of males...grumble..don't know what do to with bread...grumble...men!

Okay--here's what should be done with old bread:

French Toast: beat an egg with some milk and sugar or honey. Dip the bread in the liquid. Fry it in butter.

If you can handle that, you could move on to bread pudding.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

Grumble, grumble...bunch of males...grumble..don't know what do to with bread...grumble...men!

Okay--here's what should be done with old bread:

French Toast: beat an egg with some milk and sugar or honey. Dip the bread in the liquid. Fry it in butter.

I mean no disrespect towards you, but I, as another single male who lives alone, can point out a few things wrong with this arguement:

You assume that the bread is good. What if it's turning into a science product?

Eggs? They go bad faster than bread does! The smallest group I can purchase is six. If I could buy them individually, that might be neat. I hear that in the olden days, you could.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Don't feed the birds moldy bread. Could make them sick. Don't even let your bird feeder get all moldy and old like.

Second of all the only way to make French Toast is like this:

Scramble 2 eggs with a splash of milk, a dash of vanilla extract, a dash or two of cinnamon. Dip the bread in it letting it soak in some of the egg mixture, and fry it on a griddle or in a large skillet in butter on medium heat, flipping them when golden. Serve with 100% pure maple syrup (NOT imitation stuff) and butter heated together so the butter is melted. Serve with bacon, sausage, or ham.

There is NO other way to make French Toast.

Now, when you buy bread. Buy a small loaf and put half of it in the freezer. Stock up on plastic freezer bags for this.

If some gets a little stale you can toast it with garlic and olive oil and serve over salad as croutons. You can also serve it this way in soup.

How about if it's stale but not moldy, is there a duck pond near you?

Little kids like to use it for bait to catch sunnies.

Buy English muffins instead.

Brown bag your lunch with sandwiches.

Buy rolls individually.

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.