Ever just have one of those days?

Two trips to the doctor today for two different family members (one an ER visit) and a note from the teacher telling us our 5 year old in Pre-K bit another kid on the playground. All before noon and I _still_ haven't sent off my taxes. I'm guessing we will have a tornado this afternoon. I'm going to lock myself into the basement now.

As for our hobby, my worst day geocaching is still better than my best day working. icon_smile.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

Two trips to the doctor today for two different family members (one an ER visit) and a note from the teacher telling us our 5 year old in Pre-K bit another kid on the playground. All before noon and I _still_ haven't sent off my taxes. I'm guessing we will have a tornado this afternoon. I'm going to lock myself into the basement now.

As for our hobby, my worst day geocaching is still better than my best day working. icon_smile.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

It's nice to see when people can still say they had a great time, even after all that!

Good for you, for seeing the silver lining.

But I must ask you, why so darn much technology? What ever happened to just printing out the cache page and heading of into the woods? Even if you are doing multiple caches in one day, just throw all the printouts ina backpack with your GPSR and head out...no wrong waypoints, got the description with you...the only thing you need to worry about is the batteries!

Just a thought

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

... why so darn much technology? What ever happened to just printing out the cache page and heading of into the woods? Even if you are doing multiple caches in one day, just throw all the printouts ina backpack with your GPSR and head out...

Even though I too own all the latest toys, this is the way I prefer to go . . . except I clip the printouts to a clipboard before tossing it into the backpack. I also only keep waypoints in my gps for caches I intend on doing within the next day or two . . . coordinates are modified, caches are archived, etc. too often to risk having bad data on hand. I also delete waypoints immediately after finding the cache . . . though I do save intermediate stops of multicaches and corrected coordinates until I have a chance to enter them into my database at home.

I don't intend this as a "slam" of anyone, but I can't imagine why people who pick up perhaps one or two caches a week/month would WANT to have data for hundreds of caches on hand . . . it seems to me they're practically asking to be led astray.

Oh . . . perhaps I was a bit off-topic here. Never mind. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

... why so darn much technology? What ever happened to just printing out the cache page and heading of into the woods? Even if you are doing multiple caches in one day, just throw all the printouts ina backpack with your GPSR and head out...

Even though I too own all the latest toys, this is the way I prefer to go . . . except I clip the printouts to a clipboard before tossing it into the backpack. I also only keep waypoints in my gps for caches I intend on doing within the next day or two . . . coordinates are modified, caches are archived, etc. too often to risk having bad data on hand. I also delete waypoints immediately after finding the cache . . . though I do save intermediate stops of multicaches and corrected coordinates until I have a chance to enter them into my database at home.

I don't intend this as a "slam" of anyone, but I can't imagine why people who pick up perhaps one or two caches a week/month would WANT to have data for hundreds of caches on hand . . . it seems to me they're practically asking to be led astray.

Oh . . . perhaps I was a bit off-topic here. Never mind. icon_wink.gif

Funny you say that, macro. As a pilot, I cursed the day GPS was made available. VOR, NDB, ILS ('steamgage' instruments based on radio technology)! That's what makes a TRUE pilot! That dern GPS thing is gonna make pilots wimps!

Thought the same for orienteering.

And for clipboards until I got my Visor. icon_smile.gif

Yes, it would be good to print the dang pages and go. But, as my caching experience testifies, why do things the easy way when there is a much harder way to do it?

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Funny you say that, macro. As a pilot, I cursed the day GPS was made available. VOR, NDB, ILS ('steamgage' instruments based on radio technology)! That's what makes a TRUE pilot! That dern GPS thing is gonna make pilots wimps!

Thought the same for orienteering.

And for clipboards until I got my Visor. icon_smile.gif

Yes, it would be good to print the dang pages and go. But, as my caching experience testifies, why do things the easy way when there is a much harder way to do it?

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Kinda takes the 'fun' out of it, eh? My cousin is left seat on a '47 for Cathay. Everytime I see him he does nothing but complain about the job. I'm twice as happy in the bush making one tenth the money. A GPS can come in pretty handy however when flying up in sparsely settled areas in N. Ontario. The only nav aids up there are often an NDB fix on a lightning bolt coming from a CB that no FSS had any idea was 5 miles in front of you.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:

Hey, wait a minute! That's precisely the same thing my dad said about VOR, and his uncle said about NDB's. Why, they tell me you're not a REAL pilot unless you rely solely on pilotage and ded reckoning. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Hey, wait a minute! That's precisely the same thing my dad said about VOR, and his uncle said about NDB's. Why, they tell me you're not a REAL pilot unless you rely solely on pilotage and ded reckoning. icon_wink.gif