GPS GOLDRUSH. Anybody go?

We had a great time- Great weather, tough mountain, (I've had enough chest high grass walking for a while) nice to meet other Geocachers. The Geopups won the event. Congrats, again, guys.

The only snag was that we weren't given enough time to enter the coordinates, IMO. Originally the plan was 45 minutes, but it ended up being only twenty minutes or so. Tough to enter those coordinates on the fly!!

That being said, we were able to find seven prize cards and came a way with two pairs of Bolle sunglasses, two passes for Killington 2002-3 season, Topzone software, a Garmin hat, and a pair of Bushnell binoculars!!

Thanks to all the organizers and sponsors. A tremendous job. Looking forward to the next one.

didn't even know about until a week before. I showed the website to dh and my oldest (7yo) son who both agreed it sounded great. I said, well, maybe next year but we need to do some training first. I was speaking somewhat tongue-in-cheek but do think learning to read topos would be a plus. My 7yo took my off-hand remark to heart though. He and I went to double-check some coordinates on a cache we're getting ready to place. This was last week on a 100+ degree day with equally wicked humidity. The hike was pretty short, ~ 1/4 mile. My 7yo insisted we hike the entire 1 mile trail. Not a great distance by any means but it was over 100 degrees and most of the trail is in the open. He said it was *training* for next year's GPS Gold Rush. How could I say no?! icon_smile.gif We did the hike and it was really no big deal. I guess I was just feeling wimpy that day. Now I'm just hoping we can make next year's event. Hate to have gone through all this *training* for nothing! icon_biggrin.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Definitely worth the 7.5 hr. drive (plus time to stop and cache on the way!).

I thought it could have been a bit more organized; but, most of things I'd mention regarding this have already been acknowledged by the organizers themselves in their post-event comments.

Although my wife and I didn't find any prize cards, rediguana (our partner for the weekend) score 3 of the "higher value" prizes: a pair of Bolle' sunglasses, StreetMaps USA for PDA, and a yellow etrex.

I can't say I'll make it a yearly event, but I can certainly see myself going again.

BTW...it was great to meet GeoScouter and his wife in person!

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'